Sign in to follow this  
PACdan26

Preferred medical experience

I am pursuing work in the medical field which I plan to do until PA school and I want to know what jobs will be more appealing to admissions and provide more valuable experience. I am finished with the Certified Nursing Assistant program and just took the exam but recently received advice that admissions would not really care about that experience and would prefer work as an ER tech, volunteering until a paid position opened. I'm hoping to pursue work that makes me most desirable to PA school admissions so any input is appreciated.

really depends on the program you want to attend. some like paramedic/rn/rt, others like medical asst., lpn, cna, emt, etc

in general the better the training and the more job responsibility the greater # of programs you will be able to apply to. some of the better ones want 4000 hrs at the level of medic/rn/rt, others are ok with 1000 hrs at cna level.

There are plenty of programs that don't require even 1000 hrs of experience. Some don't even have a set number of hours. You will be fine as a CNA. Much better experience than what some people I know got in with.

Don't think it would hinder it all. If anything, it may make you stand out a bit. It is just a matter of the school regarding it as true HCE.

I sure hope being a CNA doesn't hurt anything. I'm starting training tomorrow and hope to have a job at a well known magnate (sp?) hospital within the next 6 months. I'm planning to apply to 3-5 programs after getting my bachelors with the HCE requirements ranging from 100 paid hours/1000 total hours up to 2000 paid/5000 total.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By PANCEon
      I wish at 18, I would've chosen the pre-pa route and gotten an associate's degree in DMS or an echo cardiogram tech then continued to get certified in different specialties. I may have taken pre med courses as well. Became a CNA and worked in many different specialties, hospitals, hospice, nursing and rehab facilities for experience, money, connections, letters of recommendation, on the job training to get certified in imaging, phlebotomy, resp tech, occupational or physical therapy technicians, basic EMT 1-IV, ER tech, pharmacy tech, and become a American Red Cross CNA trainer or at least CPR, AED, BLS, first aid and phlebotomy instructor's. Setting up blood drives, charity events etc. Too many ideas to count. I know now that being a healthcare professional  is my calling. Some ppl can just play the piano, which I can't, but medicine/biology/anatomy, makes perfect sense. But, I'm 40 now, and my Psychology degree I got in 2001 afforded me sales positions from food broker territory manager, pharmaceutical sales, animal diagnostic laboratory sales manager. I worked from home and travelled all over. I liked being my own boss, and other's as well. I then became a seller and writer of mortgages. Now, I have been on disability for 10yrs and am ready to do what I was meant to. I just wish I was younger. That's why it's important for me to manage my time and not waste a minute doing something that isn't going to help me get in a program. 

• By agwebster
      On the licenses and certifications section, CASPA acts for the issuing organization. I am not sure what would be the issuing organization for my CNA certification - would it be the school I attended for my certification or my state's department of health professions which lists online my license number...?
    • By QuarterLifeCrisis34
      I'll spare the forum my life story and cut right to the chase: Which patient care experience would allow an applicant to be more competitive: EMT-B or CNA/STNA?  Or, does it not make a significant difference either way?
      I'm currently in the process of deciding which direction to go and am looking for some advice!  CNA/STNA classes seem to be more affordable and easier to obtain, but most of the available positions are in LTAC facilities.  Obtaining an EMT-B certification is more expensive, but it could lead toward higher acuity experience in a hospital setting.  I'm having an open mind to either option but am curious if PA schools seem to value on certification over the other.  (I'm not as concerned with salary of the position but rather what is going to make me the most competitive applicant). 
      Thank you in advanced for insights and feedback!
    • By seominky
      Hello! 
      I graduated from MSU with a Human Biology Major in Winter 2015.
      It has been about 3 years since i have graduated. I studied the MCAT and took the test once and did not apply to any med school because of my MCAT score and GPA.
      i have a GPA 3.0 and not sure about my science gpa about 2.7-2.9 
      I just got married this summer and have been rethinking about med school and wanted to go to PA school instead 
      It seems as competitive as med school but it is only 2 years of school. 
      I don't have ANY direct paid health care experience only volunteering and haven't taken the GRE yet 
      I am 25 years old and just need some help/guidance on the path. 
      so my questions are:
      1.) Should i go to graduate school for 2 years and get good grades to make up for my low GPA
      2.) Should i just get as much PCE as i can? and then apply ? 
      if so, which is better? CNA, MA, paramedic, EMT ? 
      3.) Lastly, should get certified to work as a CNA, MA, paramedic or EMT first, and then work while i go to grad school so i can get PCE and boost my GPA? 

i don't know where to start because I'm trying to find the most affordable and less time consuming way to be competitive to get into PA school 😞 

Thank you

• By NDPA2020
      Hello! i am a sophomore in college and set to graduate in May 2020. I am having troubles finding health care hours. Every job i’ve seen is full time, and i can’t do that with 18-21 credits every semester and two kids. The only job i’ve found is a Direct Support Professional. These people work with disabled people, kids and adults. Working with kids means watching them, giving them their medications, taking to therapy etc, and adults live in group home settings. So feeding, medications, etc. I was wondering if this would count for HCE? The program i’m looking into just says a list of some jobs and says “not limited too” and I emailed the program for help and they didn’t clarify anything. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More