Alternate list question?

I was recently waitlisted, so I emailed the secretary and asked about the alternate list. This is her response, "The admissions committee would rather I not share the exact number on the alternate list."

Do you have any idea why they don't want to share this info? She did tell me that typically every year 1-5 candidates get selected off the alt list. I don't see the point in leeping that info to themselves but obviously there is a reason. Anyone have any insight on this?

Its probably because the numbers on the waitlist are subject to change. Number 3 may get chosen before numbers 1 and 2 because 3's application was given deeper consideration before selection and it was decided that they were a stronger candidate. Can you see the drama that can arise if they told you what place you were in?

I think its a good thing that they dont share that information. It shows that they greatly care and give deep thought into which alternates they choose. And it gives some hope to all alternates on the list.

Were you accepted to any other schools?

That makes sense. But I only asked how many people were on the waitlist not what pecking order I was at. Not yet accepted, the other schools I applied to (4) have interviews in Jan-March. One I interviewed at last year so I am expecting an interview again this year since my application is way stronger.

Maybe you could find out what % of students on the wait list typically get accepted. Make sure not to annoy the school though...maybe you could call and not say who you are just that you're "a waitlisted student". Saying they accept 1-5 pretty much tells you nothing since that could be out of a wait list of 6 or 60.

A program explained to my interview group that they try not to give info that could discourage/overly encourage applicants about the list. They did say that they place them in tiers and implied heavily that its better to communicate and inquire than to remain silent. Make sure they know you are still interested and communicate with them. If you got an acceptance offer at a program but prefer the one you are waiting on, for instance, make sure you let them know that in hopes they could offer you a seat before you pay your deposit. I definitely don't recommend calling every week but send them updated transcripts or let them know if you've picked up a extra volunteer job, etc so they can "update your file."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived