The morning after pill?

The ER sure is an expensive way to get it when they can walk into a pharmacy and ask for it. Unfortunately by the time they get to someone in the ER willing to tell them, the billing has already started :sad:

There are a couple of reasons this happens...

1. People who truly don't know that emergency contraception can be bought OTC (or really 'behind the counter') at the pharmacy...although I'm guessing this is a little less common now than when I was working in the ED in 06/07.

2. People who are trying to avoid rogue pharmacists who believe that it is their moral/ethical/whatever duty to either not stock emergency contraception or to 'counsel'/lecture patients at length before letting them purchase it. This is more of an issue in rural areas.

3. There is a very real possibility that the emerergency contaception, while needed, is not the only reason for the ED visit. Does the pt need STD testing and/or post-exposure prophylaxis? Was the sex consensual? Do they need medical/psych/legal assistance for a sexual assult?

4. Is the pt 17 or older? If not, they still need a perscription for emergency contraception in all the states I know of.

The ER sure is an expensive way to get it when they can walk into a pharmacy and ask for it. Unfortunately by the time they get to someone in the ER willing to tell them, the billing has already started :sad:

I guess that you don't know how the illegals rape our healthcare system.

There are a couple of reasons this happens...

1. People who truly don't know that emergency contraception can be bought OTC (or really 'behind the counter') at the pharmacy...although I'm guessing this is a little less common now than when I was working in the ED in 06/07.

While your other points make sense.....Im moreso commenting on lack of knowledge

Yah, why wouldn't you write it?

We have people coming into the ED here all the time requesting a pregnancy test. Unfortunately, many of these are young girls who admit that they WANT to be pregnant. We have an interesting demographic out here :/

We always explain that we use the same urine test that the dollar store has...for $1...only here it is billed for $140. But whatever.

I fully understand that people should go see their PCP, or Planned Parenthood, or the Health Department, or the closest pharmacy and just buy it. But we can't treat stupid, can we? And why, if you can write it in that exact moment, would it be good to send them elsewhere and just delay their dose? We are already overpopulated enough as it is!! I'm all for Plan B!

We always explain that we use the same urine test that the dollar store has...for $1...only here it is billed for $140. But whatever.

What I've learned from seeing every kind of person coming in for a pregnancy test is that it has less to do with the cost and more of a need to have someone there to give attention when the results come in. Some people are looking for help with what to do if it's positive, but more than anything they're seeking someone to give them a definitive answer and pay attention.

Sad part is if they catch the ER on a bad day they are most likely to get "welp sorry about the bad luck, heres the closest clinic and dont forget to stop by the window and check out on your way out....night"

What I've learned from seeing every kind of person coming in for a pregnancy test is that it has less to do with the cost and more of a need to have someone there to give attention when the results come in. Some people are looking for help with what to do if it's positive, but more than anything they're seeking someone to give them a definitive answer and pay attention.

There is a time and place for everything........the ED isn't the place for either the test or psychosocial baggage associated with it!

never had anyone ask for plan B. ive had girls come in asking for pregnancy tests, if they are assymptomatic (no pain, spotting,discharge, etc) then i tell them there is no emergent or medical reason for a pregnancy test and refer them to a PCP or OB. i will only do a pregnancy test if it is relevant to their complaint.

never had anyone ask for plan B. ive had girls come in asking for pregnancy tests, if they are assymptomatic (no pain, spotting,discharge, etc) then i tell them there is no emergent or medical reason for a pregnancy test and refer them to a PCP or OB. i will only do a pregnancy test if it is relevant to their complaint.

Two snaps and a thumbs up, you go girl! ;-)

Guessing is like assuming:heheh:

I feel I worked enough in the ER/registration/collections to know that its more of an uninsured/underinsured issue in gengeral

Oh student, so you know from your non-practitioner experience(heh) that it is "more of an uninsured/underinsured issue in gengeral". Try illegals make up most of the uninsured/underinsured people that abuse the system for petty gains at legal/rightful citizens expense. Underinsured/underinsured is no reason to abuse a system at the expense of others for petty gain. EPT is not medically necessary for healthy patients to require an ER visit that costs taxpayers and legit patients tremendous resources. When you deal with patients rather then paperwork then you may understand. Have fun working hard caring for people while these leaches suck your hard earned taxes for trivial benefit. You should stay in the student forum and keep out of the professional forum for your making a fool of yourself.

Yep...youre right....the non-clinical staff that is responsible for registering those that come into healthcare facilities and collect, know nothing about who does and does not pay. I forgot, that only the clinically practicing know that stuff:heheh:

PS Maybe in some alternate relativity I care what you think of me but this is not the one. Perhaps you need to step back and realize that petty insults, constant assuming and snide remarks make you look just as foolish as you make me out to be....:;;D:

Oh student, so you know from your non-practitioner experience(heh) that it is "more of an uninsured/underinsured issue in gengeral". Try illegals make up most of the uninsured/underinsured people that abuse the system for petty gains at legal/rightful citizens expense. Underinsured/underinsured is no reason to abuse a system at the expense of others for petty gain. EPT is not medically necessary for healthy patients to require an ER visit that costs taxpayers and legit patients tremendous resources. When you deal with patients rather then paperwork then you may understand. Have fun working hard caring for people while these leaches suck your hard earned taxes for trivial benefit. You should stay in the student forum and keep out of the professional forum for your making a fool of yourself.

Yep...youre right....the non-clinical staff that is responsible for registering those that come into healthcare facilities and collect, know nothing about who does and does not pay. I forgot, that only the clinically practicing know that stuff:heheh:

PS Maybe in some alternate relativity I care what you think of me but this is not the one. Perhaps you need to step back and realize that petty insults, constant assuming and snide remarks make you look just as foolish as you make me out to be....:;;D:

There is no justification for abuse of the healthcare system for selfish gain. It's all there black and white, clear as crystal. You get nothing, you lose, good day sir!

Archived