Update on my progress from low gpa; need advice

Hey guys,

A little about me...I'm recovering from a low gpa during my undergrad a couple years back. I graduated with an embarrassing 2.91 gpa (mainly due to immaturity on my part), so I decided I needed to straighten my act and retake those courses if I wanted to ever get into PA school. I have since taken 41 units at a community college and my GPA for these classes is a 3.8. These classes included Chemistry 2, microbiology, Biology, Human anatomy and physiology, statistics, Organic chemistry 1+2. I'm pretty much done with all the pre-reqs for PA school and I'm just looking for advice as to what I should be doing next to better my chances for this next application cycle. A little more about myself below:

300 hours of hospital volunteer experience (still volunteering)

emt-b Certified (currently looking for a job)

Hopefully I can get a job working as an emt to build my HCE hours. Do I have even the slimmest of chances to be considered for an interview for this next cycle? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give advice on what I should be doing to make myself a more competitive applicant. Thanks!

Try to find work as a transport to put that EMT to use. Also ER-techs at hospitals. If you can acquire some paid experience I think your application will become strong seeing as how you have already displayed commitment and dedication to your goal by retaking, successfully, the prereq courses which you previously did poorly in.

Also shadow PA's.

Good work with the GPA recovery. Is it possible for you to volunteer as an EMT-B? At least around here, many places hire from within. I started volunteering on the medic truck and eventually got hired. Or like has been suggested, there are transport companies that you could start with and eventually get into emergency dispatch. Good luck!

Archived