I want to be a DERM PA or nothing

Gotta chime in here:

I am a Derm PA and drive a Honda Civic as well. I do have a more expensive vehicle but that had nothing to do with me being a PA, and everything to do with my Dad doing well in the computer science field. 

To the OP: I thought I wanted to be an Ortho PA before I even started school. That changed quickly after I started my PA education. I also HATED Derm for a long time, and then when I got into it, I fell in love. You may change your mind about what you are interested in once you get your feet wet in other specialties. I have also jumped from one specialty to another as a PA, so my advice is keep an open mind and embrace every bit of experience you get. It will only help you be a better PA. Thinking in black and white (this or nothing) may result in you missing out on your true calling. 

I see no problem with your wish to get into dermatology. As previous posts have indicated, however, that can be a challenge and there is no assurance you will fulfill that dream whether you go to med school or PA school. Med school may be more daunting because you have to get matched into a derm residency which it's difficult as there are few of them. As a PA, it may be easier to start your career in another specialty while looking for an opportunity in derm. One thing that may help is to complete a derm fellowship after PA school, but there are only a few of those in the U.S., so you would likely need to move, if you can get accepted. When you start searching for your first job, you may have to apply to practices around the country and move to wherever you get a job. Bottom line is you will have to be creative and flexible as well as patient. If you are looking for guarantees, you won't find any unless you have an uncle who owns a derm practice.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived