Classes advice from current students?

Hey guys, I have a question for any current or former PA students. The program that I got accepted to does not require me to take any additional classes, but I would like to spend some of my time waiting taking one class that would benefit or help me the most. My options are a

generals biology course (ironic because I have already taken biology 2 and microbiology as well as ap1 and 2)

intro to organic and biochemistry (I have taken basic and general chem as well as an applied chem which touched on organic)

human heredity and development (a genetic scours online)

any advice would be very helpful! I need to decide in about a week because I am currently registered for all three as the other program that I am waiting on a response for required these.

Thanks!

Angela

Well I guess the question is are you sticking with the program you have been accepted to or are you planning to keep waiting on a yes from the other program? I mean if youre going to wait for a response you might as well take all three as you will need them if they say yes. Now if you plan to stick with the program that said yes, you should probably check out their curriculum and decide from there. If they have an actual biochem or genetics course, you may want to take one or both of those. Other than that, I say take the one you feel you need more experience with, if you really want to take something. My program has a course that "touches" on all the basic sciences but I will say genetics wasn't severely in-depth....I think our biochem was more intense than the genetics info.

Don't take any of those. Take a medical sociology class if possible. Or maybe a short med term class.

Brush up on your own reading. IMO the only class in there that will help will be biochem 1 but why endure that torture if you don't need to. There are some good books if you want to pre-read, let me know if you want me to recommend you some.

I wouldn't spend money on any of those classes. Hopefully you are an independent learner because it seems to be pretty essential (at least at my school). Get some books and read on your own brushing up on whatever you might need. A&P, pharmacology, and medical terminology could be good options depending on your situation. If you can find out what books your school uses, get those! I also recommend Clinical Pathophysiology Made Ridiculously Simple.

That actually was a very helpful class from undergrad....one of the most applicable

I know it wasn't one of your options, but if I were to do it over again, I would have taken an undergrad Patho/Pathophysiology course. I had a steep learning curve on that one. That may just be my program, however. My professor is a PhD, so he expects us to know the minutiae.

Learn everything there is to know about the cranial nerves - number, name, function, sensory vs motor vs mixed, function, innvervation, how to assess, etc. You willl go over this info a lot in school (at least at many programs), but getting started will help in the future.

Also, start overview of abx: classifications, mechanisms of action, etc.

Archived