How did you satisy the "health experience" requirement?

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Would it be best to become a RN or an EMT? Which one looks better on a medical school application? What are the most current percentages for these? I'm thinking about pursuing a double major (RN and biology). Is this a good idea?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

You've asked this question b/f so I'll lead you to the upper left corner of this web page to FAQ.....read that first. Then you need to do your own research by going into the search engines of this website. Every question that you are asking has already been answered in the PrePA section. In that section you will also see PA schools, look up the schools you're interested in applying to. You can also go to that schools website and you will get even more info. Good luck!

I just went to the search engine and put in "health care experience'. On page 4 there is a sticky "need help choosing a path to PA school", you need to read that...it will take you a while since there are 67 responses on that thread alone, but all your answers are already in the search engine...do your work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Navy Corpsman for 10 years, 5 of that as a surgical technician, cross trained in combat medicine, 3 years on ships. 12 years volunteer EMT basic (served concurrent with military service) 10 years as a paid transporting paramedic, 7 of them cross trained as a firefighter. Working in busy systems with around 1 transport every 2-3 hours or so. 20,000 hours of paramedic experience, the patient count grows.

My question to the OP...why PA? You're 17 and have the world in front of you...what about this particular profession compels you? Do you see it as a short cut to some promised land? Are your parents or parents of your close friends PA's and you really dig what they do? I only ask this question as EMT or RN are just one tiny part of the medical health care team...there are respiratory therapists, the huge field of radiology (including ultrasound, CT, MRI and such), neuro sciences, cardiovascular technicians, physical therapy, occupational therapy, mental health services...list goes on. Are you sure this is the right path for you? Who knows...you may make a kick *** engineer of some sort...or graphic designer...or animator...or...or...or...

My question to the OP...why PA? You're 17 and have the world in front of you...what about this particular profession compels you? Do you see it as a short cut to some promised land? Are your parents or parents of your close friends PA's and you really dig what they do? I only ask this question as EMT or RN are just one tiny part of the medical health care team...there are respiratory therapists, the huge field of radiology (including ultrasound, CT, MRI and such), neuro sciences, cardiovascular technicians, physical therapy, occupational therapy, mental health services...list goes on. Are you sure this is the right path for you? Who knows...you may make a kick *** engineer of some sort...or graphic designer...or animator...or...or...or...

Good questions...I suggest you listen to the advice and look around. I myself thought at 12 that I wanted to be a PA...My provider was a PA and it seemed like something I would like. But I didn't just make the decision and move on, i wanted to make sure i wasn't going to have regrets...I looked into other fields i shadowed, i researched, i took college classes that exposed me to other professions, but I just kept coming back to the PA Profession. Don't be afraid to look at other careers, it can't hurt right? This profession isn't going anywhere any time soon and you are young so explore...the only things you could do right now to keep you from getting into PA school are getting into trouble with the law and getting bad grades in college. As long as you stay out of trouble and keep your grades up while you look around you shouldn't affect your chances of PA school.

Archived