Rejection MEDEX

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alcon,

Don't just re-apply, find out specifics about what your application lacks. I was rejected for the 4th time this year. I have been to 2 information sessions, rejected 4 times, and interviewed once. The amount of handouts that say the same thing could be a collection by now. I took more classes, I added experience, I volunteered more; I did everything that the letters of rejection will say to do as well as the EXACT same letters you get at information sessions and nothing changed over the course of 4 years. I agree to continue trying, but at some point you may have to recognize that MEDEX doesn't see in you what you see in yourself. If you have to take extra classes, bummer, if not great, but take the GRE apply to other schools. I currently work with PAs that think what I have done (HCE) is light-years beyond what they did. Don't let a rejection collapse your lungs :). Every year there are more PA schools. MEDEX is prestigious, they build their classes how they feel will best fit the entire class. If you believe in yourself don't let rejection from medex minimize your ambition to provide a high level of care to patients in the future.

Travis

Hi all!

I was just curious as to what your letters said. I received a very generic letter that looked like it had been massed produced; it had not specific to me that I need to work on to help for the next application cycle. Were yours the same? Why did they not send more specific letters like they had said they would? Thoughts?

I'm rejected too! I applied for the Yakima site. Now I have to complete more prereqs!!! Anyone know if the chem has to have a lab?

I took my chem at a community college. MEDEX wanted 5 credits in Chem..the class I took was 3 credit class, 2 credit lab, so one combined class knocked out all 5 in one semester.

Got the letter on Monday (no interview) and am officially frustrated with the entire process of applying to PA school. I get it that I was a crappy student in 1997! My post bac/pre-req GPA is a 3.98 having completed:

- General Biology (1 year)

- A&P (1 year with lab)

- Microbiology

- Inorganic and Organic Chem (1 year)

- Biochem

- Handful of social sciences, statistics, et. al.

- GRE score is in the top 10-15%

- tens of thousands of HCE hours both in the military and civilian side

- LOR's from my flight surgeons, EM-MD that I worked for and my organic chemistry professor

So, while I'm going to reapply next year, I can honestly say that I've started looking at the MD/DO route because I no longer have ANY CLUE what PA schools are looking for.

Rich

I only applied to MEDEX this year because of a friend that is there now. I wasn't going to apply anywhere until talking with him and since I easily met the pre-req's/academic requirements I submitted to the MCHS side. I've applied two other cycles to a number of campuses (not to MEDEX) across the country and no luck obviously.

My undergrad GPA was a 2.2 and through an act of Congress both my cumulative and science GPA's will be above a 3.0 at the end of this semester and have not taken one 'basketweaving' class. My undergrad is in engineering and from USC (hence the screen name).

The ONLY thing anyone has ever given feedback on as far as fitting through their soulless rubric is that my GPA was not "competitive" with their class in spite of meeting minimum requirements. Frankly, that's a HUGE cop-out since IMHO (which doesn't really matter) if you've met the minimum criteria, your ENTIRE packet should be reviewed at that point. Given the quality of the experience that I have and that it's patently obvious that who I am TODAY, is not who I was in 1997, which I thoroughly explained in my narrative and in supplemental applications, you would like to think I would have at least warranted an interview. NOTHING.

So...with today's whining over, I'm back to studying and while I'll be applying to MEDEX and others next year...again...I am going to sit for the MCAT's this summer and an application to multiple MD/DO schools will also be going in. I think it will just be ironic if an interview arises from the MD/DO side before the PA side.

Rich

Just my two cents

As an applicant that interviewed twice and was accepted on my second attempt, I think you may be fixated on the GPA portion of your application to much. I had similar stats to what you are listing, a very uninspiring undergrad GPA of around 2.3 with post graduate classes bringing my overall GPA up to about 3.0. I like you spent a ton of work bringing my GPA up to a somewhat respectable level (it is damn hard to bring a GPA up from 2.3 as you can relate im sure Rich!). Grades are important no doubt, they show that you can handle rigourous course work but they dont paint the complete picture. If i was to try and give any advise it would be to look long and hard at the rest of your application. I dont think it is your GPA that is holding you back (at least not at MEDEX), you have proven that already with your recent course work. Look closely at your personal statment and see if it really truly shows your honest motivation for the field or is it the canned stuff that everyone says. Does it paint the complete picture of who you are? Do you know the Medex Mission? How does your work experience, community involvement and future aspirations work to reinforce the MEDEX mission? While, i have no inside scoop on the happenings of the program I think that if you meet the minimum requirments your application gets a look but I think it is your personal statements that get you the interview! If you truly have the ability and it is feasable to pursue the MD/DO route go for it! If you read the posts from a lot of the old timers on here they frequently give that advice to folks that are unsure. What ever you choose, go after it 100% and it will show in your application. Again just my two cents, best of luck to you Rich and all the reapplicants. I know the feeling Dave

Dave gave some very candid, but invaluable advice. Your academic efforts are stellar, and I agree that people change, and you are certainly not the same person you were during your undergrad. I don't have much to offer beside what Dave already mentioned; just pursue "the dream" your heart desires, and everything else WILL work itself out. Best of luck to you Rich!

Hey everyone - I received a rejection letter in the mail and it was very generic. There was a yellow piece of paper with suggestions of ways to improve the application. Unfortunately, there's literally no way (on their list of suggestions) that I could possibly improve my application. The only thing I could change is my personal statement, and that's something that has been read & revised by MDs and English professors alike, tailored to explain why MEDEX program is specifically an interest to me and how enthusiastic I was about it. It seems to me there were just so many applicants, so even really wonderful applicants had to be cast aside. I wish everyone good luck for next year, I'll certainly be applying with a revised personal statement :wink:

Archived