is it possible to overcome a rejection (not waitlisted) and get an acceptance?

hello. just looking for some encouraging stories or tough love about my scenario. i interviewed and was rejected at my school of choice. i was not wait listed. have you heard of cases where candidates overcome this scenario to gain acceptance to a school that rejected them in the following cycle? i need to know where to focus my energies. i will get feedback from the school, of course, but i just wanted to get the crowd's take on this scenario. part of me thinks that if i had a shot at being a good fit for them, they would have wait listed. also, i thought i performed well in the interview, so i am just a little thrown off.

Ive heard of it. Heck in the class ahead of me, it took one girl 4 times to get in our program. I interviewed with another girl at UNE and it took her 3 times to get in that program.....it happens more than you think. As long as you ask them how to make your app stronger and you actually do those things and become a stronger applicant, you have a shot to get in.

It's very possible to overcome. There are tons of posts on this forum about folks who were flat out ignored the first time they applied; only to then come back and get accepted. Remember to improve your application....start now if you haven't. Take some classes, get more HCE...whatever it takes.

Good luck

It's possible. I applied to my first choice school for the second time this year and was accepted after being rejected the first year. I went back and tried to improve everything that I could on my application. Other than improving upon the areas that the AdCom suggested, I started from stratch. I completely rewrote my essay (highlighting what I've done to improve over the last year), shadowed another PA in a completely different field than my HCE, took additional upper-level science classes, and gained another year of HCE. And even though my recommendations letters came from the same 3 providers both years, I made sure to have a discussion with them. I asked (politely, of course) that they write a completely new recommendation and to really focus on my improvements over the last year.

In my opinion, your interest in the school/dedication to the profession will show if you put in the time and effort to try to improve your application and apply for the second year. Although, you did say you got an interview the first time? This means they liked who they saw on paper so maybe your application wasn't the issue. Brush up on your interview skills. Have friends or family do a mock interview-- maybe the interview didn't go as well as you thought? Making efforts to improve in any of these areas can't hurt you, they'll only help. Good Luck!

Archived