Rejected

So I keep seeing all these students getting accepted into multiple schools while I have a steady stream of rejection letters coming in. I interviewed at 2 schools (Drexel & PCOM) but got denied at both. So, I figure my biggest issue is I don't have enough HCE (I had 550 hours when I applied, but I have close to 800 now), which is why I only got 2 interviews when I applied to 9 schools. Another issue is I'm clearly blowing my interviews. I totally bombed the one at Drexel. I preped for the one at PCOM. I got a book, had a friend do a mock interview with me, practiced in the mirror... I thought it went fairly well, but then I got my rejection letter in the mail today. I am still waiting to hear from 4 schools, but it seems like this years round is winding down, so I'm just focusing on next year now. Is there anyone else in a similar position? Anyone have any advice? My GPA is good (Overall: 3.6, science: 3.5), a big chunk of my medical experience is from working in the hospitals in Kenya which looks good, my GRE is not so great, but I don't know that I will retake it (I've already taken it twice). Has anyone ever invested in a professional interview coach? If so, was it worth it? All I know is while I am very happy for all those people who have been accepted, I get really bummed out when I see posts from people stating they can't decide which school to go to because they have been accepted into 3+ schools...:sad:

Keep practicing with friends....they know you best so they are the best ones to tell you if youre acting weird.

Solidify your knowledge of the profession/blemishes in your past/and why you chose the PA route/your plans for the future. These are typical things youre asked about so if youre blowing the interview then youre lacking knowledge in one or more of these areas.

Learn to be direct and concise--for goodness sakes dont offer more than the question youre being asked--added info can turn out to be ammo for later attacks.

Remember, youre practicing so that you answer seamlessly and confidently...this is not a chance to practice a well thought out lie--practice truthful answers.

Make sure that youre a good fit for each program youre applying to. If you dont have enough HCE then perhaps you skip those schools, if youre GRE sucks then try applying to schools that do not require it. Read the mission of each program and make sure that you fit it. Contact each program that rejected you and get advice on what would make you a better candidate in their eyes...dont just assume to know.

Try reading over your PS and essays to make sure they are well written, concise, and actually answer the question being asked (its easy to ramble and get off track)

The next application cycle opens soon....try picking up additional shifts and start racking up on those HCE hours and maybe take a health-related class or two like med term/healthcare delivery systems/healthcare ethics/epidemiology etc. I feel these classes show a true interest in healthcare and adds to an app

So you didn't get in this year, it's ok. Some people took 4 tries to get in. Don't look at other peoples acceptance with envy, rather look at it as fuel to motivate you. You are smart enough, got the grades, got the experience and now you know what it is like to interview. I know it's disheartening to be rejected. Last year I got 8 rejections out of 8 schools I applied to. Don't get down on yourself! Fix the problem!

Maybe you were too stressed in the interview and choked (that happened to me) and next time you interview realize that you're good enough to be at that program so don't sell them, just be you and answer the question consicely and with confidence.

Maybe you didn't have enough HCE hours compared to other applicants.. Go back and work as many shifts as you can.

Maybe your LORs are weak... Get some better ones and maybe guide those writing them on key points that make you special.

Maybe your volunteering isn't aligned with the mission statement of that program.. Go work with kids or underserved populations in the US.

Maybe you need better healthcare experience (in my case I got my phlebotomy, EMT, EKG Tech, ACLS, PALS, & NRP then landed a job as an ER Tech then got ~500 hours before I applied next)..

You control your destiny and use this rejection as fuel to come back even stronger for next time. If I can get in coming from an undergrad GPA of 2.31 and applying with a 2.93 you can too!

Heres a little motivational video that helped me when I was in your shoes 1 year ago:

Thanks Timon, that made me feel a lot better! I think the main thing is my lack of HCE. I worked in Kenya over the summer providing the underserved and I am continuing to try to find opportunities locally (even though it's much harder to get into underserved medicine in the US as an undergrad). But, I know by next application cycle I will have well over 1000 hours because I am currently a CNA. And congrats for getting in this year! :D

Just_Me I think that taking extra science classes is a great thing to do! I've been really pushing myself to do that! By doing that I am actually earning a second degree in biology. I have taken genetics, immunology, advanced human cadaver anatomy, several advanced nutrition courses, and next semester I'll be taking microbial ecology and health disparities in the US.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Seek and you shall find......

The opportunities are there, we just have to do the leg work. I have lived in this area for 20 years and never knew there was a free private clinic for uninsured low income individuals. I have been volunteering as a medical assistant and translator in the room with the doctors (who also volunteer their time) as they perform pap smears, physicals, and refill (for free) diabetes and high-blood pressure medicine. I have no certificates or degrees, I'm just doing my pre-reqs for PA school, but I have the passion and desire to help these people. I have learned so much. This experience has changed my life and has affirmed my dream of becoming a PA.

@Timon thank your for all your tips and inspiration. I am getting ready to apply this next cycle. I am studying for the GRE now, its soooo hard for me because English is not my first language ! The Verbal kills me, the math is easy.....

Thanks Timon, that made me feel a lot better! I think the main thing is my lack of HCE. I worked in Kenya over the summer providing the underserved and I am continuing to try to find opportunities locally (even though it's much harder to get into underserved medicine in the US as an undergrad). But, I know by next application cycle I will have well over 1000 hours because I am currently a CNA. And congrats for getting in this year! :D

Thanks for the congrats and I'm happy I made you feel better. Just keep your head up and remember that you're good enough the way you are now.. you just have to jump through the hoops a little to make the adcoms believe in you. :;;D:

@Timon thank your for all your tips and inspiration. I am getting ready to apply this next cycle. I am studying for the GRE now, its soooo hard for me because English is not my first language ! The Verbal kills me, the math is easy.....

Anytime! :wink:Being bilingual is a huge advantage for you. Don't sell yourself short.. there are many programs out there that are looking for a person just like you (and the ones that come to mind do not require the GRE). I'm sure you'll do great, just do your best and don't sweat the small stuff.

Just_Me I think that taking extra science classes is a great thing to do! I've been really pushing myself to do that! By doing that I am actually earning a second degree in biology. I have taken genetics, immunology, advanced human cadaver anatomy, several advanced nutrition courses, and next semester I'll be taking microbial ecology and health disparities in the US.

Thanks for the advice! :)

I know genetics and the cadaver anatomy sure would have helped me out. classes like health disparities and other classes part of the healthcare administration degree are very good too...they are non science but they also give you an outlook on healthcare that I think are very beneficial to any provider....they cover things you never really think about (admin stuff) but are just as important when caring for your patient....

Like Timon said, there are plenty of programs that are not hung up on GRE scores....look at some of them. My GRE was certainly substandard (didnt study a lick) and 2/4 schools that offered me a seat required the GRE. I like to believe that most programs truly look at the whole student and doesnt simply focus on one bit over the other.....

Seek and you shall find......

The opportunities are there, we just have to do the leg work. I have lived in this area for 20 years and never knew there was a free private clinic for uninsured low income individuals. I have been volunteering as a medical assistant and translator in the room with the doctors (who also volunteer their time) as they perform pap smears, physicals, and refill (for free) diabetes and high-blood pressure medicine. I have no certificates or degrees, I'm just doing my pre-reqs for PA school, but I have the passion and desire to help these people. I have learned so much. This experience has changed my life and has affirmed my dream of becoming a PA.

Where are you from Maria? I contacted a clinic via email yesterday that is much like this and they also do health fairs for underserved communities, so I am hoping to hear back from them about hopefully volunteering!

Just_Me, Cadaver anatomy was helpful but EXTREMELY hard, I pretty sure I got a C (still waiting on my grade), so I will probably be retaking it :( this also doesn't help me any. The difference b/w my class and many of those in graduate schools is my cadaver was not prosected, we did the dissection. We were taught the structures to be tested on the class before the exam, and my brain just cannot pick up information that quickly. I was not given access to the lab whenever I wanted either. Nonetheless, it very much prepared me for PA school.

Both schools I got interviews at did not require the GRE. Next year, when I have more HCE I will definitely be applying to more schools that don't require the GRE since I will meet more schools requirements (since most require 1000 hrs. HCE).

@blblue I too just recently had an interview at PCOM (I was wait listed). However, I think you are selling yourself short. Over 2200 people applied to PCOM this year and they told me there that they would be interviewing around 150-170 people. To get an interview with those odds means you are an exceptional student/person/candidate. So please don't get down on yourself and realize that getting an interview is a blessing!!

As for some advice of what you can do I believe that the other comments on this thread were spot on. However, while getting more HCE will surly improve your chances of getting more interviews I am confident that you would get more interviews next year if you just do research and apply to the right school for you. I would focus on what you might be doing wrong during the interviews. Did you make eye contact with all panel interviewers (because if you noticed they didn't seat you at the head of the table during the interview. they wanted to see if you would move your chair slightly to make eye contact with the person asking the question)

Did you articulate your words and really let them know that you could see yourself at PCOM. ( after everyone of my interviews I make sure I tell them what a great program They have and convey that this is where I want to be.

Did you write a thank you letter and send it to them by the end of the week?

Did you ask a lot of questions at the end of the interview. ( this is important so that they know you are interested)

Did you thank them for their time at the end or even wish them a Merry Christmas? Or ask them how their thanksgiving was. They need to remember that you are a personable passionate individual! Every little thing counts!

Hope this helps:)

I am very lucky to have had an interview at both Drexel & PCOM, Drexel's stats were much the same (they had 1800 applicants and only interviewed the top 150-200). I tried very hard to make eye contact, smile, be personable (even though I could have done better at that), and I did write thank you letters (to four different people). I think I just get so nervous I don't answer the questions quite right. I forget how to let my real personality out! But I must say, my PCOM interview was definitely a step up from my Drexel one. Each time I get a little better! I just have to keep on preparing! I know eventually I will get it. Sometimes it's so easy to forget how to bring out a little fun (wish them happy holidays etc.) because they seem so emotionless during the interview. I will definitely be applying to both Drexel & PCOM next year if I don't get into any schools this round. I absolutely loved both my visits to Philadelphia!

@Just_Me Most ppl don't dissect a cadaver until they go to PA school (and many ppl get prosected cadavers there)... I must say, it was by far the hardest, most demanding undergrad class I have ever taken, but it was worth it. I now know what to expect in PA school. It is almost exactly the same as some PA schools. I did cadaver dissection as well as the visible human (cross sectional transverse anatomy), MRI/x-ray anatomy and case studies all in that class. It was 5 credits, took up my life (I had no social life all semester). It was a true taste of what I am getting myself into. But, it will make things a lot easier for me my first semester of grad school.

Yup exactly how it was taught at a local university that I started at. At first they only had the one class per year and you had to apply to get in, then the honors program was going to get their own but I left before it was put into place. It was created by the same MD who later became one of the creators of their med school....the guy was a great professor but soooooooooo incredibly full of himself

I think its a shame that dissection isn't available that much in undergrad although I understand why it's not. One thing I can say though is even though I went home with fallen arches and some times a stiff back from spending hours digging out vessels and nerves.....the dissection part was still fun. I could have lived/slept comfortably without the 12 minute demos and peer teaching though....and the tests....I would have been fine without the tests lol

@Just_Me Most ppl don't dissect a cadaver until they go to PA school (and many ppl get prosected cadavers there)... I must say, it was by far the hardest, most demanding undergrad class I have ever taken, but it was worth it. I now know what to expect in PA school. It is almost exactly the same as some PA schools. I did cadaver dissection as well as the visible human (cross sectional transverse anatomy), MRI/x-ray anatomy and case studies all in that class. It was 5 credits, took up my life (I had no social life all semester). It was a true taste of what I am getting myself into. But, it will make things a lot easier for me my first semester of grad school.

A friend of mine got an interview tutor and it helped her a lot (I think she said it was from Kaplan), and in turn helped me when she gave me advice that came directly from him. She got into both PharmD programs she interviewed at, and when she and I did a mock interview she was able to tell me things she noticed as well as pointers her tutor had given her. It was really expensive so I didn't choose to get one myself because I tend to interview well, and that gave me confidence that helped me. Confidence becomes a cycle that leads to more confidence when interviews go well. They interview better when they have an acceptance already because less is on the line. If I were you, I would get the interview tutor because you know that's a weak point, as well as practice with friends. Friends in some kind of professional program are likely going to be the biggest help.

You might want to consider re-taking the GRE if your scores are below 50th percentile. Definitely work on healthcare and volunteering during this year if you don't get in anywhere. The biggest thing is probably going to be the interview because you are obviously qualified to get one, and you might still get another this cycle so I would continue to work on that. Maybe contact schools you are still waiting to hear from to see what your status is, and if you are still a candidate you need to prepare for what you can fix today- your interview skills.

I also noticed you sent a thank you to four people after the interview. I don't know if it matters, but if you met more people (students, staff that don't make interview decisions, etc.) you want to include them. I wrote one card addressed to "Blah blah program students, faculty and staff" to make sure I didn't leave anyone out. I'm assuming you met students at some point, or even just interrupted their class. They may never see it, but it shows you are considerate of everyone involved.

blblue:

Here are some things I learned from going through the reapplication process a few times:

1) Don't try to sell yourself. Instead focus on your core reason for why you want to be a PA. They want to see a desire for (and knowledge of) the profession more than they care about how many words you fumble or how many questions you "don't nail." If you can show them that you care more about being a PA than giving a perfect interview they will notice that.

2) You too hold some cards. You are committing to lots of debt and A TON of personal sacrifice. When its your turn to ask the questions, go for it! Ask them "why" questions, and treat that as your time to interview the school. It's a big commitment. Let them know that you realize that by the questions you ask.

3) Do not allow their stone-wall demeanor to get to you, they do that on purpose. I know it's annoying and distracting, but its just an interview tactic. They want to see how you handle pressure and stress, because there will be PLENTY of that to come once you get in.

4) The reapplication process alone will make you a stronger applicant. Not only will it show resiliency and determination (same thing, I know), but the interviews will be easier for you as you've already found out. Someone once said to me regarding getting accepted, "If you want this bad enough, you'll get it." Do. NOT. Give. Up.

The clinic I wrote about is CARIDAD CENTER in Boynton Beach Florida at http://www.caridad.org

"Caridad Center provides comprehensive health and dental services to the uninsured, working poor families of Palm Beach County, Florida. The services at Caridad Center save millions of dollars in uncompensated hospital care for the taxpayers of Palm Beach County by reducing the number of patients who use emergency room services because they have nowhere else to go."

I urge all pre-PA's in the south Florida area who are looking for volunteer hours to do them at this center. It is hands on and you are helping a non-profit organization that is making a real difference. (They also accept donations)

I was doing my volunteer hours at a local hospital before this and that was a joke, they had me making coffee and clearing up messy desks. Who was I helping there?

I agree with Harrybollow totally, I bombed my first interview (too bad it was at Yale) because I choked and didn't prepare enough, but once I knew my story and knew what I wanted to convey to each school everything fell into place. I knew the interview portion was my weak point and I even thought about buying that popular that PA interview book, but in the end trusted myself and prepared on my own, asked a lot of people to go over questions with me, and did mock interviews with all my roommates.

1. Be confident, your stats landed you the interview, but its the interview that will get you in, so prepare and be sure of yourself. When you aren't sure about a question, be honest and say you don't know but its something you will look into.

2. Discuss your answers with others. The content of what you say is extremely important, sometimes I wanted to fit too many things into one answer, try delivering your answers to a lot of different people and you will get a feel for what you want to edit out. The content is what separates you from everyone else!

3. Delivery is important. You have to show emotion when appropriate and passion when speaking about each program in front of them. They want to see that you are a mature and articulate individual ready to take on the PA profession and interact with future patients and see that you are an interesting and personable individual as well. So practice different ways of doing things and ask others to critique you. Showing yourself to strangers is hard at first so its good to prepare before hand.

4. Do your research. On the questions that show up on interviews and the scenarios each school will set up. And as a tip, I don't know if anyone else does this, but I always listen to what the faculty says and pay attention to who is interviewing me so I can come with questions or comments based on that information or is specific to those individuals. One person really seemed to like that, I seriously left like 15 minutes after everyone else.

5. Make it a point to interact with the students and faculty of the staff when you arrive to your interview. Be attentive and polite. Everyone is judging you.

Everyone has their own style so show yourself off in the best light and be confident (even if its just for 30 mins) hahaha.

Archived