Has anyone heard back for 2013 applications?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello all, I applied for the 2013 SJVC PA program admission since September. I know the deadline isn't until January, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of rejection letters or invitation for interviews yet? Please let me know, much appreciation!

I think they are contacting people. I received a phone call with an invite for the panel interview for next month. Super exicted and nervous at the same time. Good Luck to you.

Hello!

- Any suggestions for interview questions? Obviously no one can know what questions they will ask but any general guidelines?

- What exactly does SJVC's probationary status mean and how does it effect students who are starting the program? Does it effect hiring and job potential?

- The scheduler said we will be meeting with Financial Aid as well. (Does that mean we will have a decision at the interview?).

- How much does GPA play into selection process? Clinical experience?

- I read that there is a 10:1 interview:selection ratio. Just curious what is the ratio for even getting an interview (this is just for comparison to other programs)

Thanks so much I have a million more questions... but for now these were most pertinent :)

Dear fhussain999,

Thank you for your interest in the SJVC Primary Care PA program. You have asked several questions over a couple of threads. I would like to take a shot at answering as many as possible.

ADCOM is an acronym for Admission Committee

"Even though it's an Associate's not a Master's?"

Degrees mean different things to different people. Most SJVC students historically tend to be older, more healthcare experience, getting the MS later after they have worked as a PA-C. If a SJVC PA student has a BS they may be eligible to apply to the St Francis MMS program during the second year of the program. Upon graduation from the program and St. Francis, a Master in Medical Science is awarded.

"Any suggestions for interview questions? Obviously no one can knowwhat questions they will ask but any general guidelines?"

Questions are geared toward: determining potential success in the program; understanding the PA role; understanding of the mission of the program; applicant potential to meet the program mission statement; applicant potential as a Physician Assistant student.

"What exactly does SJVC's probationary status mean and how does it affect students who are starting the program?"

Accreditation-Probation is a temporary status of accreditationassigned when a program does not meet the Standards and when the capability ofthe program to provide an acceptable educational experience for its students isthreatened. Once placed on probation, programs that still fail to comply withaccreditation requirements in a timely manner, as specified by the ARC-PA, maybe scheduled for a focused site visit and/or risk having their accreditation withdrawn. A program on probation must provide clear evidence of progress toward improving the program by its next ARC-PA review. The maximum period of probation is two years.

http://www.arc-pa.com/about/acc_types.html

PANCE Questions:

Q. How do I become eligible to take PANCE?

A. Graduate from a PA program accredited by ARC-PAor one of its predecessors. Today, there's no other way to gain PANCEeligibility.

http://www.nccpa.net/Faq.aspx#15

"Does it affect hiring and job potential?"

This has not been reported by graduates of the class of 2012. Current senior PA students have started reporting about getting job offers now. Seniors do not graduate for another 4 months. Within the medical community the graduates/program serve there is a good job market. These would be a good questions to ask at the interview.

"The scheduler said we will be meeting with Financial Aid as well.(Does that mean we will have a decision at the interview?)."

No. That is the school's admission practice. Everyone who gets an interview talks with Financial Aid.

"How much does GPA play into selection process? Clinical experience?"

The ability to successfully meet the academic rigors of the program is important to all members of the ADCOM. Some more than others. Applicants will need to: demonstrate they can handle the didactic phase of the program; are motivated learners; and realistic in their assessment of past academicperformance. For the class selected in 2012 the average overall GPA was 3.3,the sci prereq GPA was 3.4.

Clinical experience is valued in much the same manner. The non Masters programs tend to select medicine, nursing and allied health candidates looking for a second or third career. The average number of hours of Health Care experience for the class selected in 2012 was approximately 10,000.

"I read that there is a 10:1 interview:selection ratio. Just curious what is the ratio for even getting an interview (this is just for comparison to other programs)"

There has been a 10:1 application/available seat ratio (240/24) Not everyone gets an interview. There has been a 3:1 or 4:1 interview offered/available seatin past cycles. This year it looks like a 6:1 interview offered/available seat.

Hope this helps. You might find a few more answers to the million other questions you may have in the school thread. Past students, PAs have contributed a great deal over the years. Again, thank you for your interest in the SJVC PA program. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your interest in the SJVC PA program. We appreciate the effort everyone put into their application. The goal is to select the class and offer positions by May 12, 2013. As planned, the second interview provided additional information that all members of the ADCOM must review. Then they will select the class based on the application and interview outcomes.

All program admissions efforts are now focused on selecting a class. Please do not contact Ms.McDonald or Mrs. Urmson about your status until after May 15, 2013. Until the ADCOM completes its work Ms. McDonald and Mrs. Urmson will not be much help answering any questions concerning current application status. Neither will contacting current PA students on the forum. I’m just being as honest.

After May 15, 2013 feel free to contact Ms. Urmson if you want to make an appoint to sit down and discuss your application. Please wait till after the 15th. We cannot schedule meeting times until the class has been selected.

We know the significant challenges some had to make to attend the second interview and it was noted and appreciated by the interviewers. I personally know how stressful this time is for all applicants. I’ve been doing this a long time. Even though it was during the age of the dinosaurs, I was once an applicant awaiting word from a PA program.

On behalf of the ADCOM, we acknowledge and commend the talent, strength and diversity of the overall applicant pool. Regrettably, we can only fill 24 seats. We hope we answered the majority of your questions, and you have had a chance to learn more about the program. If you have further questions for me, please email me at LesH@sjvc.edu after the 15th of May. I will try to reply as soon as possible. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

Sincerely,

LesH

Archived