Hi guys!

I am currently thinking about applying to GW's PA program. I know on their website they want 1,000 hours of direct patient contact, so does an ER Scribe qualify as direct patient contact? If not, what sort of jobs are they looking for? What kind of volunteering can help me reach those hours without having to get certified in something else? Thanks! :=D:

According to the online information session, scribing DOES count toward your direct patient contact hours. You can find the information session link on the right side of the webpage, and I definitely recommend watching it. Best of luck!

When I asked GW about what they preferred between two jobs I was offered, they said they preferred ED scribe to a back-office MA, so you should be good with that. As a default, always contact the program if you're unsure.

Interesting that they would prefer a scribe to a back office MA.....I could see them preferring one over a front office MA but back office MAs actually do have direct patient contact

Interesting that they would prefer a scribe to a back office MA.....I could see them preferring one over a front office MA but back office MAs actually do have direct patient contact

I thought the same. I specified my job duties and they still said they thought an ED scribe would be preferred. I ended up taking the MA job, though, and still got an interview so I'm not sure how much they took it into consideration.

Hi guys! I'm currently working as a CNA, but will have max 600 hours of direct patient care experience by the application deadline. Should I still apply?

Edited by Miss Ukraine

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By pawho
      Hello all!
      I just started thinking about PA school recently. I graduated in Fall 2015 in Biology and Psychology. I'm 23, and I'm trying to figure out my life course. I'm wondering what people on this board think about teaching abroad for a year in China before I apply to PA school. I feel like I'm young and I want to see the world a bit before I commit. Has anyone done this before? Would PA Programs look down at this for any reason? I have most of the pre-requisite classes, I would just have to take Anatomy, Physiology (the 2 big ones haha), and perhaps Medical Terminology; I would probably want to take these courses online before my expected departure date of early September, and then apply next April for the 2020 cohort.
      I have spent the last year in the mental health field doing rehab worker duties, which I believe counts as direct patient care hours (at least for some schools), so I would have that under my belt as well.
      I would love some advice for what people did before applying, that may not be related to the medical field, and your thoughts on those experiences.
      Thanks so much.
    • By giaba
      Hi guys. 
      So currently, I have just finished my junior year of undergrad. My current but yet horrendous stats are cGPA: 2.75 & sGPA: 2.40
      Unfortunately, all the pre-req's I have take that are required for PA school, I have received Cs in. 

I really want to become a PA, but I know how hard and competitive it is. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what to do next. I am an EMT and currently working as one as well to get the minimum hour requirement in for clinical experience; but with an EMT license I do wish to further become an ER Technician. 

My plan for the summer was to not take any classes and solely focus on getting more HCE hours in, along with studying for the GRE and take it by August. 

With that being said, what should I do? Should I take a summer course of the classes I have received Cs in at a different institution, do a Post Bacc program after I graduate in May 2018, or do a one year Master's program in the health sciences after I graduate? I know I have screwed up, but I want to get back to the right track, but I am afraid that I am too far in to get out of this hole. 

Along with this, I wanted to know what are some other healthcare professions that I can pursue in because I really do want to PA school, but my grades are holding me back at the moment. Are there other healthcare professions that I can look into that might be a little less competitive? I do plan still working as an EMT or ER Tech (hopefully); I just am very confused as what to do with the given stats.
    • By Maylily7
      Hello!
      I was wondering if anyone accepted into Boston University's program could share or message their application stats (gpa, HCE...), I want to know whether, if I were to apply in a later cycle I could be considered a competitive applicant. Thank you for reading this and thank you for your time, I appreciate it a lot!
      -Maylily7
      P.S. I'll put my stats here if ya want to comment on my chances of acceptance: cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, Dean's List 7/8 semesters (currently in my last semester), about 100 hours volunteering for my school's EMS. I don't have a lot of Patient care hours but I am hoping to take a gap year and work on that. I also hope to retake the GRE to improve my score as well. Again, thanks so much!
    • By chabis77
      So I recently saw a movie entitled "Logan Lucky". It was great to see the PA profession represented in the movie by a character who ran a traveling community clinic. However, I was disappointed that when the character's name badge was shown, the title "Physician's Assistant" was displayed. I'm just wondering if anyone would have any idea of how to contact someone and who to contact about this error so we can strive to be accurately represented. I just have no idea where to start. Help!
    • By Ollivander
      I'm currently considering refocusing my pursuit to become a dentist and transitioning over to pursuing becoming a physician assistant. I do have a couple of questions though. I graduated this past spring with a bachelors in finance, however I've taken all the prerequisites needed for dental school. However, I'm not sure it's in the cards for me anymore. I'm taking a hard look at PA school, however I had some questions that I was hoping some of you may be able to answer. I need a couple of classes before I'm able to apply, and was considering taking them at my local community college so that I can save money and an extremely long commute it'd take to travel to the nearest university. The prerequisites I have remaining are developmental/abnormal psychology, statistics (I have credits for business statistics I & II, not elementary statistics), medical terminology, and microbiology. Would PA schools mind if I take those four courses at my local community college as opposed to a four year university? I've already taken Bio I & II at a community college back in high school for college credit, and while at university I took general chemistry I & II, organic chemistry I & II, anatomy & physiology I & II, calculus, and general psychology. I also took physics I & II over a summer back in 2014 at a local community college. My current overall GPA sits at a 3.43 and my science GPA is a 3.21.

My second question is in regards to the direct patient contact experience hours. I was considering becoming certified this summer after completion of those four classes as a EMT. I thought about taking the 10 credits it'd take in order to become certified as an EMT at my local community college, and then work for the following two semesters to build up my hours. I'd then apply that summer for PA school. I have 1,500-2,000 hours of volunteering already (medical mission trip to Honduras, building a library in Ghana, several pre-health honor society and club events). Is this an efficient route at applying to PA school and accruing the direct patient contact hours I'd need in order to apply and be a competitive applicant?

I'd be greatly appreciative of any help you all are able to provide me. I'm sure most of you are quite experienced and have far more knowledge about where I probably stand in my current situation, and the best route to take from here. I'm hoping I can get the advice needed in order to become a competitive applicant and possibly gain acceptance into PA school.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More