Current PA students: can I get away with using an iPad instead of a laptop?

Recently they have made iPads that are so easy to type, use a mouse and take notes, etc. on that I am thinking about ditching my laptop in favor of a cheaper, lighter iPad as I don't even really use my laptop all that much. I have an external hard drive so I can keep all my extras on that.

Let me know if your program or you would frown upon it, thanks!

Im a desktop gal so even the thought of using a laptop bugs me but I do it so Im probably the last to give my opinion on the ipad, with that said, our program doesnt have an issue with it....how you take notes is how you take notes....as long as it fits the technical specs required by your program, I dont think it should be too much of an issue

I use my iPad far more than my laptop. I have a laptop, desktop, iPad and an iPhone.

I actually use paper and pencil to take notes, but use my iPad a lot for referencing during class and using the Medscape app. I do most of my assignments and study guides on my PC at home. The laptop is nice to have, but at this point I use it more as an internet machine than I do for studying and note taking.

Also, most schools have computer labs. I know a lot of my fellow students use the computer lab everyday to type up study guides.

I think you'll be okay with just an iPad, and access to a computer lab.

Just depends on your preferences. You might need to take notes really, really fast in class....can an iPad do that with the limited small keyboard they have? I can't live without my laptop but I would like to get an iPad for textbooks and reviewing power points and stuff... but a laptop is a must for me.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard (Kensington something or other) for my ipad. I can type just as well on it as on a laptop, which for me is much faster than handwriting. I also recommend using notability and storing all of your docs on Dropbox. I would check with your program though because one of the schools I had looked at specifically stated we needed to own a laptop that was at most two years old.

I use an iPad exclusively, but I back it up to a desktop. I also have a Bluetooth keyboard, and wouldn't go without it. The iPad is great for viewing PowerPoints, referencing Epocrates & Medscape (apps), and fitting inside a backpack sandwiched between a 3" binder and porth Pathophysiology textbook).

Just chiming in to say depends on your program again...we were issued a laptop and the first years this year were issued iPads, the laptop is still required for tests.

useful apps...Sanford Guide for Antimicrobials, Epocrates...some apps were put on our iPods by our tech person, so again make sure of your schools tech package before buying things!

Best

Archived