CT Surgery Compensation

I have been working in CT Surgery for almost two years now in private practice. I have experience in EVH, surgical assisting,... I have been a PA for 4 years. I received an offered to join the CV Surgery group at a big teaching institution here in Los Angeles.

Due to my poor negotiating skills, I am being properly compensated for my current job. I don't want to make the same mistake again for this new job.

Can any CT/CV Surgery PA give me information on salary and compensation information for some with my experience.

Thanks

Jake

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

in my experience (>25 yrs of CT surgery) most employers view the APACVS salary survey as something that PA's "pad" and "lie" about in order to get the employer to pay more. Employers will pay the least amount of money they think they can get away with paying you. It's up to you to negotiate a better deal for yourself.

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking about your reply for a little while. I respect your many years dedicated to CT. However, I have to disagree on the validity of the APACVS salary survey. I think it is a tool like any other to help generate discussion as well give a starting point to the conversation. I agree that employers want to pay you the least they can get away with and that employees want to get the most that they can get. That is a basic definition of a market with interests of buyers and sellers. We are on the same page that any clinician should be able to understand their value and negotiate the best situation possible.

Having used the APACVS survey I will say there are two sides to it.

Like many other CTS PAs in a large city, I ma friendly with PAs at other cardiac practices. We all tend to keep ourselves aware of the compensation packages (base, call, etc) at different places around town. I've renegotiated several times so far at my current practice. If I had gone only by the APACVS survey, and knowing what I know as the "going rate" in my area, I would have been lowballing each time (which goes against the notion that the survey is "padded").

But I agree it is a useful tool as part of your armamentarium.

Furthermore, my institution performs its own market research survey to determine salaries. They place a lot of stock in that and it can take a lot of persuasion (it helps to have strong physician leadership level support in that case) to get your number.

I reckon that each specialty society that conducts its own salary survey has similar issues.

Archived