Need advice about best way to improve science GPA.

I've looked around the forum and have found similar posts, but not exactly what I'm looking for, so without further adieu:

Here's my situation: I graduated college in 2010 and I currently have a 2.47 science GPA, even with retaking some of the courses I did poorly in. I'm looking for ways to improve my science GPA so I can reapply to various PA programs in the 2013-2014 cycle, but am not sure of the best way to do so. Should I:

-Try for a post bacc program that pre-med students use, even though it would require me to retake a lot of courses that I did well in?

-Continue retaking courses (I've already retaken 3 of them and I feel anymore would reflect poorly).?

-Take more upper division science courses at a nearby university?

-Attend a graduate science program?

Thanks!

It's really up to you. If you did poorly (i.e. less than a B- in a science course) I would consider retaking it as they are weighing your GPA down. As far as attending a graduate science program, I'm not sure that it would be wise/easy to get into one. It also would not improve your undergraduate science GPA, and would show up separately on CASPA. Also, I'm not sure your situation in undergrad, but possibly consider getting a tutor or changing study habits and methods. If you retake a course you really need to get an A or A- in it, otherwise it will not be of much use in improving your GPA. Assess why you did poorly the first time you took these courses, and take steps improve and ensure you don't have the same problems again. It might also be a good idea to take new upper level courses to show that you are not doing well in the courses you retook simply because you have prior experience with the subject matter, but rather because you are studying differently and capable of handling new and challenging information.

In my opinion you retake classes you did poorly in to show the adcoms you mastered the basic material. Then you take upper division science courses to show you're capable of advanced science material. However you can achieve both is up to you.

Another route you can try is applying to a MSMS program. These are masters courses usually affiliated with a PA or MD/DO program that will allow you to meet faculty at the program you would apply to in the future, take classes that PA and med students are taking their first year, better prepare your for the material presented during PA school, and in some or most cases will guarantee and interview for that program for the upcoming class. I know Touro NV and Western University of Health Science have those programs but I'm not sure about others.

Archived