Courses in summer

I am a transfer student and unfortunately I was not able to sign up for the required biology and chemistry courses.

And so I was hoping to take these over the summer but will PA admissions look down on me for "not challenging myself during the school year" and view me as a less competitive applicant?

Are you planning on taking Bio AND Chem in the summer? Unless you've had previous extensive experience in both DON'T DO IT! Just pick one or the other.. Summer classes are much harder simply because of the pace. If you were an incredible HS student (and that was recently) and you took AP Bio and AP chem your senior year and were at the top of your class, then you could give it a try. Otherwise you'll just see your grades go down the tubes.

I took Bio I and II in two 5 week summer sessions and that was a lot of work but manageable. Gen chem is considered one of the harder pre-reqs for a lot of people, and you'll probably want a full semester to get your head around it. Taking both together over summer sessions sounds just hellish.

Good luck with whatever you decide - now the fun begins!

Are you planning on taking Bio AND Chem in the summer? Unless you've had previous extensive experience in both DON'T DO IT! Just pick one or the other.. Summer classes are much harder simply because of the pace. If you were an incredible HS student (and that was recently) and you took AP Bio and AP chem your senior year and were at the top of your class, then you could give it a try. Otherwise you'll just see your grades go down the tubes.

Can't emphasis this post enough. Unless you are especially math fluent, save the Chem for the regular 14 week semesters. I took A+P1 and Micro this past summer and I was on these boards complaining (on the rare occasion when I had time to complain). Earned an A- in both (which isn't bad) but I had no summer, literally. I spent the summer watching people playing outside through the windows at my library.

Archived