Why would you want some kid to shadow you?

There needs to be some balance in the process. grades aren't the only factor, hce should be weighted at least as heavily.

Reminds me of this one young (20s) classmate who was one of the 'smarties' without any significant prior HCE ... he aced all tests, but I'll never forget his condescending tone as he remarked authoritatively to his lab group, "I'd never prescribe morphine for kidney stone pain." All you can do is just look at them and figure that eventually one day they'll learn the ropes. I did say something to him but only time will tell.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All you can do is just look at them and figure that eventually one day they'll learn the ropes. I did say something to him but only time will tell.

In my experience it takes a min of 2 yrs for non-hce folks to catch up with prior hce folks for most things. for some things they never get caught up. in my situation only the former medics and rt's in my group are comfortable with intubation for example. the other folks do it in acls every 2 yrs but don't have the confidence to actually do it when the situation calls for it, they get someone else to step up and do it...ditto IO's, etc...you need to do something, and have the permission to do something, to get comfortable with doing it. they are also slower to recognize when a pt starts circling the drain...I have walked into shifts and taken pts over from other folks who had NO IDEA that they were minutes from coding, something that was obvious to me from the door and not obvious to them after a 10 min H+P. sick vs not sick isn't something you get from a book...it's something you get based on YEARS of dealing with really sick patients....in the future, mandatory internships will replace prior experience in getting folks the exposure they need....

The "low gpa " folks I am talking about are not folks with a C avg but folks who got mostly B's and a few A's as undergrads and have gpa's like 3.2 or 3.3. surely these folks have the academic chops to do well in a pa program considering many of them got that gpa while working full time and raising a family as opposed to the 3.8+ gpa student without experience who has never had a job or responsibilities outside of school before. an experienced medic I work with now has a bs with a 3.2 and has been through the cycle 3 times without an interview because she doesn't make the gpa cut off each time while 22 yr olds with no life experience and a 3.8 waltz right in. she got that 3.2 working full time and taking classes nights and weekends while a single mom to a small child. something wrong with that. she would make a great pa but we will never know because she decided to pursue something else after 3 attempts to become a pa. There needs to be some balance in the process. grades aren't the only factor, hce should be weighted at least as heavily.

What PA program was turning her down? Did she apply to more than one program? 3.2 GPA in my opinion is not that kind of student with previous HCE that should be turned away. I'm referring to those individuals who have been applying to programs with below 3.0 and thought they were qualified. I have seen this happen in the past were too many individuals, especially medics, only applied to one program because its in their area and they do not want to leave home. I always tell them do you want to be a PA or do you want to be a PA that graduates from a specific program. I know it's difficult financially for some of these people but, the years they waste trying to get into that specific program is years of good salary that they are missing out on. Do you know the people at that program? Sometimes it helps if someone within the community goes to bat for someone that would make an exceptionally good PA. If you know the program director give them a call. I've gotten people interviews by doing that, it is then up to the individual to sell themselves.

If you are asking, you haven't been paying attention to the product over the years.[/quote

I had an idea of what you were trying to say but now I know for sure. And as usual, I find your comments to be extremely unprofessional, sexist and frankly quite disgusting. if you referring to the feminization of the profession you owe every female PA on this forum an apology. If it wasn't for the female PA's stepping up to the plate in the late 1980s and early 90s filling positions for the PA programs,when males went running to the high tech industry and business, this profession would've went to the wayside. Once again you've shown your ignorance and your true lack of understanding of our role and responsibility in the delivery of health care in this country. I'm sure glad I never had to practice along side someone with your attitude.

Let's do the nasty first.......I don't care to work or listen to with folks who like to ASSign labels to statements that by their own words

they don't understand. Yeah, you are in NO position to tell me what I do or do not know or understand in or out of this profession or life in general.The accusation/label of being "unprofessional= last refugefor a lack of validity of an argument! I do know by your post you are a knee-JERK respondent who believes his ill conceived or lack of understanding of another PA's position gives him some moral high ground to lord over those he thinks are not right thinking. I spent a lot of time hearing and reading whinny complaints of PA's PA wannabes about why they must do this or that, why they are called this or that, why can't I park in the physicians lot, why can't I go into the physician lounge, why can't I make 100K right out of school b/c I have so much debt, the mean attending yelled at me, the nurses yelled at me ad nauseum. I recall the days of being/meeting a PA you encountered a mature person with significant ADULT LIFE EXPERIENCE along with health care experience. I recall working side by side doing great work when people didn't even know PAs were employed standing up for ourselves not whimpering about "how hard" the job or work environment was!

BTW you can do something unique........DON'T READ OR REPLY TO MY POSTS/THREADS, if they offend or upset you, maybe you'll sleep better.

What PA program was turning her down? Did she apply to more than one program? 3.2 GPA in my opinion is not that kind of student with previous HCE that should be turned away. I'm referring to those individuals who have been applying to programs with below 3.0 and thought they were qualified. I have seen this happen in the past were too many individuals, especially medics, only applied to one program because its in their area and they do not want to leave home. I always tell them do you want to be a PA or do you want to be a PA that graduates from a specific program. I know it's difficult financially for some of these people but, the years they waste trying to get into that specific program is years of good salary that they are missing out on. Do you know the people at that program? Sometimes it helps if someone within the community goes to bat for someone that would make an exceptionally good PA. If you know the program director give them a call. I've gotten people interviews by doing that, it is then up to the individual to sell themselves.

this individual applied to 3 programs 3 times, each time with with spotless letters of rec.

2 of those 3 programs focus on gpa>hce and the other had similar applicants with higher gpa's so did not interview her.

Let's do the nasty first.......I don't care to work or listen to with folks who like to ASSign labels to statements that by their own words

they don't understand. Yeah, you are in NO position to tell me what I do or do not know or understand in or out of this profession or life in general.The accusation/label of being "unprofessional= last refugefor a lack of validity of an argument! I do know by your post you are a knee-JERK respondent who believes his ill conceived or lack of understanding of another PA's position gives him some moral high ground to lord over those he thinks are not right thinking. I spent a lot of time hearing and reading whinny complaints of PA's PA wannabes about why they must do this or that, why they are called this or that, why can't I park in the physicians lot, why can't I go into the physician lounge, why can't I make 100K right out of school b/c I have so much debt, the mean attending yelled at me, the nurses yelled at me ad nauseum. I recall the days of being/meeting a PA you encountered a mature person with significant ADULT LIFE EXPERIENCE along with health care experience. I recall working side by side doing great work when people didn't even know PAs were employed standing up for ourselves not whimpering about "how hard" the job or work environment was!

BTW you can do something unique........DON'T READ OR REPLY TO MY POSTS/THREADS, if they offend or upset you, maybe you'll sleep better.

why didn't you say this in the first place, I might have agree with you whole heartedly rather than trying to interpret your innuendos! A "wuss" in my parts of the country may mean something totally different than where you live! Remember is not what you say it is how it said. Looking forward to more debates with you.

Archived