Why can't I find a part time/per diem direct patient care job in CT?

I'm seriously considering PA school and I'm currently enrolled in a post bachelor’s Pre-Health Certificate program while working full time at a corporate office. I’m looking for some advice on how to land a part-time/ per diem direct patient care job so I can leave my office job have some income while I finish up the pre-requisites. I obtained my EMT-B state and national certification over a year ago and all I can find is volunteer opportunities. I have heard most paid ambulance services prefer two years of volunteer service before they will consider someone for employment, does this sound right? I have also applied for a number of ER-Tech positions but I have never gotten an interview. I would really like to go to PA school but I'm starting to feel like I have to have a BSN to get any health care experience, has anyone else had a similar experience?

I definitely understand what you are saying. It took me a long time to find a job opportunity that didn't require more schooling/ certificate classes. It is pretty common to become a CNA because of the speed to getting the certificate and they are always in need. I also know people who started by becoming a CNA working in a hospital and then used contacts there to get a job as an EMT there. I became a PCA for a local group home company that does all of their training in house once you are hired and it has been an incredible experience. Perhaps you could find the threads for PA schools in your area and see if any of them have advice for you! Good luck!

Start with a job that is easier to get. it may be not what you are looking for at first or you may be over qualified for the job, but the hardest part is getting your foot in the door, it will help you get the job you really want.

i live in CT and i was in a similar situation. jobs are out there, so keep trying.

Ahh the trick to getting an ER gig or any hospital gig for that matter.

Know this:Human resources job is to keep you away from everybody else.

Your job is to talk to the decision maker, which is usually the department manager.

You walk into the hospital ask somebody where the ER is. You have to find the door where staff go in and out, it's usually coded, try the usual codes, 5150 1234 or look which numbers are worn out, then press those, when somebody comes up, say "I keep forgetting the number, what is it again?" Another way to get in is where the paramedics enter, then just follow them. Or, just wait till someone else goes through and bingo.

Once inside, act confident and like you belong, interview clothes helps, or even better, scrubs. When in the ER ask someone who the manager is. During this whole time you have to keep in mind is that nobody knows or cares who you are or why you are there, they are all busy doing their jobs and are used to many people, doctors, family members etc coming and going. Once you get the name, then you simply wander around asking other people where that persons office is. They will assume you have something specific to talk to them about.

In the off chance you get an overzealous security dude or clerk all up in your grill, you just come back 12 hours later and guess what? A whole new crew.

When you find the managers office, knock, if they answer, have your spiel and a resume ready saying something to the effect of "I really want to work here, here is my resume, are there any openings and if not, can I call you every so often and ask?

Most are impressed that you got the cajones and the resources to take care o bidnass.

Now, it goes without saying that you a have an application on file however, if you rely only on human resources then you will be sad for a long time to come.

I have worked in ERs and hospitals all of my adult life.

Good luck,hope this helps, feel free to pm me if any other questions

Have you looked at any inter facility transport services? Something else to consider is getting an EKG cert / phlebotomy or both. From there it'll open up more doors. You can apply for phlebotomy positions, some ER Tech jobs require phlebotomy, 12 Lead EKG tech, mobile health examiner, and monitor tech just to name a few with both those certs in addition to your EMT-B. The key thing is just get your foot into the door that's the hard part.

You walk into the hospital ask somebody where the ER is. You have to find the door where staff go in and out, it's usually coded, try the usual codes, 5150 1234 or look which numbers are worn out, then press those, when somebody comes up, say "I keep forgetting the number, what is it again?" Another way to get in is where the paramedics enter, then just follow them. Or, just wait till someone else goes through and bingo.

Once inside, act confident and like you belong, interview clothes helps, or even better, scrubs. When in the ER ask someone who the manager is. During this whole time you have to keep in mind is that nobody knows or cares who you are or why you are there, they are all busy doing their jobs and are used to many people, doctors, family members etc coming and going. Once you get the name, then you simply wander around asking other people where that persons office is. They will assume you have something specific to talk to them about.

tbh this sounds very creepy. Has anyone else done anything like this?

No mullet it ain't creepy, it's called chutzpah, it's figuring out how to talk to the decision maker, however which way you accomplish this. If you stop at human resources then you are essentially saying, ok I accept whatever you tell me and I will go away. Which is exactly want they want you to do.

Then you end up on a forum asking what else to do since you can't get a job in an ER.

A lot of the non nursing staff in ER's got their job through connections, somehow. If you have no connections, then you go make some. The aforementioned method is just one way to make some.

I got my first er tech job in the 80's by walking into a local er with my emt cert in hand and asking the chief of the dept if they needed an er tech. they said "is 6 dollars an hr ok for 5 12 hour shifts/week and when can you start?".

the key to a lot of things in life is avoiding administrators who pile on layers of useless BS. I had multiple students rotate with me at prior jobs while avoiding the graduate medical education department completely. I work nights partially to avoid ever having to see or speak with an administrator. many administrators are dead weight. look at the parking lot at noon on a series of saturdays. anyone whose car is not there 2 months in a row is likely dead weight. the hospital functions fine without them nights/weekends/holidays...which likley means it would m-f 9-5 as well....also notice that those cars are among the nicest on the lot meaning those who get paid the most do the least real work....

I was a licensed EMT for 7 years. Only worked paid as one for 1 year and that was at a large retirement home (saved some lives but hardly the excitement of a rig). Ambulance in one county only wanted experience and the ER there didn't use techs. In the next county, ambulance also only hired experienced and the ER Director only hired techs who were pre-nursing at the local program there (he ended up being fired for that, actually). Unfortunately, by the time he was gone I was already accepted into PA school. Thankfully the ER there utilized me highly in a volunteer position due to my EMT and experience up until that point (was allowed to assist 'off record' in intubation, reductions and other) but it was simply local politics which ultimately kept me from landing a job. They even had me additionally volunteer through the Chaplain's department to help me get more hours in back. Awesome team with a keen eye for talent and dedication, head Docs wrote my letters of reference.

Bottom line for those positions are, good on ya for those who can land them! Unfortunately, not everyone is in the same boat. MA would be the way I would have gone now, in hindsight ... unfortunately most of my medical experience up until that point had been in hospitals so I had little knowledge of MAs at that time. I just happened to take the EMT class for the underwater welding program I was in before I went pre-med (my light went on during one class as I thought, well, I've been volunteering in hospitals for the past decade ... I wonder?), so that was really my only knowledge of the entry ways into basic positions.

One thing I do want to add ... I have met some sh*tty medics and nurses in my day. Just because someone has healthcare experience doesn't mean I'd necessarily recommend them for a position as a medical provider.

Creepy? No. Ballsy? Yes. Plausible? Totally. Look the part, appear confident, you can get anywhere in a hospital.

Would I hire someone who did that? More than likely, yes. Self motivated hard chargers who get things done are an asset. Yes, rogue cowboys can be a thorn in your side but typically only because they are bored. Re direct them to a project that needs a self starter and watch the results roll in.

Creepy? No. Ballsy? Yes. Plausible? Totally. Look the part, appear confident, you can get anywhere in a hospital.

Would I hire someone who did that? More than likely, yes. Self motivated hard chargers who get things done are an asset. Yes, rogue cowboys can be a thorn in your side but typically only because they are bored. Re direct them to a project that needs a self starter and watch the results roll in.

yee haw!

Emedpa,

another cowboy

I tried that approach at one of my ERs, unfortunately it was the one where the Director was the guy who only hired pre-nursing techs. I dropped by two or three times, actually, and each time he would give me the runaround. I finally had to give up and join as a volunteer. There are roadblocks out there, unfortunately, even for cowboys, and small towns are just that, small. There's sometimes only so much to go around. That being said, do what you're able however you can.

Well, okay then. When I finish my EMT class,the first thing I'm doing, prior to even applying, is just waltzing the hell into local ER's and locating manager(s).

Atta boy!!

Be nice, courteous, and extremely motivated.

I would also have an app on file. You have to anticipate everything they are going to want and have for them even before they ask. Application, CPR cert, resume, current letters of rec. That is someone who is "all over it."

Of course, after you land the gig, you still have to perform at a high level.

Good luck.

Atta boy!!

Be nice, courteous, and extremely motivated.

I would also have an app on file. You have to anticipate everything they are going to want and have for them even before they ask. Application, CPR cert, resume, current letters of rec. That is someone who is "all over it."

Of course, after you land the gig, you still have to perform at a high level.

Good luck.

Thanks. And yeah I'll have everything together nicely when the time comes. Thanks for the creative idea too

Archived