Dear PAs, please help!

Hello,

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me feedback on the following two questions.

I have a question about the credit hours listed on PA school website of the school I got accepted to this year. This program is only 54 credits for 24 months in length. From interviewing at different PA programs, the programs were always 100+ credit hours long (one of the programs I was accepted to was 24 months and 150 credits and another one was 129 credits). I was wondering if anyone knew the reason for this significant difference in credit hours. I tried to contact the program for two days and no one is able to answer my question. I got two responses: "that's the way this program is set up" or "this is done to keep the program's cost down”, so not all of the credits are "billed for". Either way, something does not seem right.

Also I have a question for those who moved out of state to attend PA school and then decided to go back home to work. Is it true that one would have a lot harder time getting a job in their "home state" after attending PA school elsewhere?

Thank you so much for your time!

I'm assuming you're talking about Wayne State? Their program is 54 credits. As a state-funded school, WSU (or whatever school your talking about, I'm presuming) tries to keep tuition down as much as possible. There is a set credit-hour rate for all of the professional programs. I believe the rate for PA is about 600-700$ per cr. Instead of reducing the credit hour rate, they simply reduce the number of credits.

If you look on the website, they list both 'credit hours' for the class and 'contact hours.' You'll find that 2 credit classes are often 8+ contact hours (like a lab). It all works out in the end.

Hey Jdangerous!

Thanks for your response. I have heard a few students tell me the same thing as you have stated above. However, how come the programs that are the same length and are about 150 credits cost the same as WSU? (and it is one of the top rated PA programs in the nation). I really don't mean to comare, I just want to make sure that I understand everything completely about the program I will be attending. When I called WSU and talked to 4 different people, they could not give me an answer so I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. :)

Archived