Now Accepting Applications for The Regions Hospital EM PA Residency Class of 2014

We are pleased to announce that the Regions Hospital Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant Residency is currently accepting applications for the class of 2014, with a start date in mid-June of 2013. The EM PA residents have an 18 month training period. They have 7 months of rotations in the ED at Regions. They rotate through the following departments at Regions: SICU, MICU, Orthopedics, Hospital Medicine, Anesthesia, Toxicology, and Emergency Medical Services. They, also, have rotations in the community at Abbott NW Hospital, St. Johns Hospital, St. Paul Children’s Hospital, and Hudson Hospital where they will be doing emergency medicine rotations.

Dr. Bradley Hernandez is the PA Residency Medical Director. Ann Verhoeven PA-C is the PA Residency Program Director. Christie Eck is the PA Residency Coordinator. You can read more about the program at our website: regionsem.org/pa-residency where you will find a link to our facebook fanpage. We welcome any questions you might have regarding the program.

• 4 weeks later...

As a member of the Regions Hospital Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant residency inaugural class, I wanted to take the time to post regarding my experience thus far with the residency. Having completed the first six months of the residency I can say without reservation that my decision to complete an ER PA residency was a great one! Regions Hospital is a level one trauma center in Saint Paul, Minnesota with a well-respected Emergency Medicine Physician residency. Brad Hernandez (Residency Medical Director) and Ann Verhoeven (Residency Program Director) worked closely with the leaders of the MD residency program to create a PA residency that gives physician assistants the skills they need to be great EM PAs.

As a PA resident I work side by side with MD residents both in the ER and on off-service rotations. My hours and the expectations placed upon me are identical to those for MD residents. Just to give you a sampling of some of the skills I have learned in the first six months:

Intubations (Anesthesia)

FAST/cardiac exams (Ultrasound)

Central line/arterial line placement, pressor management, ventilator management (SICU/MICU)

Splinting/reduction techniques (Orthopedics)

Management of toxicologic emergencies (Toxicology)

This is a just a short list off the top of my head. We also had a 2 week EMS rotation where I rotated through various EMS services in the area, including a day out at Afton Alps with their ski patrol! As PA residents we are expected to attend a 5-hour didactic conference each week with MD residents. I have been consistently impressed with the quality of the education I receive during this conference, not to mention that my CME hours for the next 2 years are already completed. All residents are also given the opportunity to obtain all the major certifications needed for ER PAs - ACLS, ATLS, PALS, FCCS. The best part of the Regions Hospital Emergency Medicine PA residency is how closely it is aligned with the MD residency, resulting in an amazing educational experience you simply can't get on the job. I went back and forth about whether I should complete a residency, but once I saw the wide variety of experiences they had available I was completely sold. I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the program.

As you can see in Ann's post above, we are still accepting applications for the class of 2014. If you have any interest in completing an EM PA residency, I urge you to consider Regions Hospital. Please do not hesitate to PM me or to contact Christine.E.Eck@HealthPartners.com for my contact information.

• 1 month later...

Archived