Should I keep trying or give up?

I made a 3.94 my freshman fall semester but made 2.9 spring of freshman after I found out my mom had cancer which played a huge toll on me in every aspect.

Now as a sophomore, my mom is still struggling with cancer and I've been going home alot to be with her since she is alone for the most part. I was taking anatomy, o.chem, o.chem lab, stat, nutrition, and a religion and science class. I was sucking at anatomy and that is one of the few pre-reqs many PA schools have, so I decided to drop that and take it next year alongside with the lab that I did not get into this semester. I know I'm gonna get A's in religion and science, nutrition, and statistics, and pull a B in o.chem. But I just took my o.chem lab final and OVERSLEPT so I only had an hour to take it, where as the whole class had 2 hours and I already know I failed it, and if you fail the final you fail the lab.

I ultimately think I will have to withdraw from o.chem lab too since I do not want an F on my transcript. Even though o.chem and o.chem lab are not required for most PA schools, I already withdrew from anatomy and it will look so bad that I dropped both of them.....

Next year I KNOW I will do better and get an awesome GPA because I am taking not as hard classes and will not have any distractions since my mother's treatment is almost over (thank God). I am gonna get my CNA certification this summer and will not let myself get bad grades anymore. I'm seriously so mad that I overslept because I know I could have done amazing on that test.

What do you guys think..... is there any hope? Or should I give up?? This is one of the hardest decisions of my life.

If this is what you want to do never give up, keep trying. Invest in two alarms if you have to. Just take this as a bad semester and keep driving on, because the next ones will be better. You still have time to increase your GPA so don't worry about it two much. You are being a good son or daughter to your mother by sticking by her and giving her support. Things will get better, I am sure of it.

Thank you so much for the responses, I really appreciate it.

Do you guys recommend me retaking o.chem lab again? Or should I just leave it as a withdraw. My major (Human Development, double minor in psych and bio) does not require o.chem lab but I know some P.A. schools require it. Suggestions?

Take a leave of absence until you get things sorted out so you don't continue to wreck your GPA. Take care of your mom; PA school will still be there down the road.

I agree with wutthechris. Since CNA classes aren't going to be as difficult, maybe you could go home and take them there. Then you can work from there and take care of your mom until her situation gets a lot better, or you at least get to the point where you know for sure you can handle everything and go to school. You could take some online classes from there too and you'll probably be fine as long as you know you are there for her and don't overload yourself. This way you won't really be putting your dreams on hold, just some classes.

Later, include this situation in your personal statement so schools don't wonder what happened.

Also, how do you withdraw from a class after the final exam? That's not possible at my school.

Archived