Do I even have a chance anymore?

I made a 3.94 my freshman fall semester but made 2.9 spring of freshman after I found out my mom had cancer which played a huge toll on me in every aspect.

Now as a sophomore, my mom is still struggling with cancer and I've been going home alot to be with her since she is alone for the most part. I was taking anatomy, o.chem, o.chem lab, stat, nutrition, and a religion and science class. I was sucking at anatomy and that is one of the few pre-reqs many PA schools have, so I decided to drop that and take it next year alongside with the lab that I did not get into this semester. I know I'm gonna get A's in religion and science, nutrition, and statistics, and pull a B in o.chem. But I just took my o.chem lab final and OVERSLEPT so I only had an hour to take it, where as the whole class had 2 hours and I already know I failed it, and if you fail the final you fail the lab.

I ultimately think I will have to withdraw from o.chem lab too since I do not want an F on my transcript. Even though o.chem and o.chem lab are not required for most PA schools, I already withdrew from anatomy and it will look so bad that I dropped both of them.....

Next year I KNOW I will do better and get an awesome GPA because I am taking not as hard classes and will not have any distractions since my mother's treatment is almost over (thank God). I am gonna get my CNA certification this summer and will not let myself get bad grades anymore. I'm seriously so mad that I overslept because I know I could have done amazing on that test.

What do you guys think..... is there any hope? Or should I give up?? This is one of the hardest decisions of my life.

As long as you are open to retaking classes if necessary/ keeping your GPA up in the semesters that follow, I see no problem with your academic record. Obviously admissions committees would see the trend, and during the interview you could explain your situation. If anything, what you and your mother went through may be an advantage (personal statements, essays and even the interview).

As long as you are open to retaking classes if necessary/ keeping your GPA up in the semesters that follow, I see no problem with your academic record. Obviously admissions committees would see the trend, and during the interview you could explain your situation. If anything, what you and your mother went through may be an advantage (personal statements, essays and even the interview).

true, I'll try to make this into a positive thing and definitely will focus on my grades next semester. thanks so much for the response.

Archived