PA's in Substance Abuse/Addiction

Just curious if there are PA jobs out there that specialize in addiction and/or substance abuse recovery?

I've always enjoyed watching Intervention and seeing the transformations that addicts make in their sobriety. While I know a majority don't make it, I think being able to help deflated people improve in mind/body would be a great experience and work environment. Anyone have any experience with this?

Joel

• 7 months later...
Just curious if there are PA jobs out there that specialize in addiction and/or substance abuse recovery?

I've always enjoyed watching Intervention and seeing the transformations that addicts make in their sobriety. While I know a majority don't make it, I think being able to help deflated people improve in mind/body would be a great experience and work environment. Anyone have any experience with this?

Joel

God bless you for wanting to work in this area!!!!

I, too, would like to continue this kind of experience particularly since I have a BS in psychology. I used to help people under the supervision of a psychiatrist who had addictive personalities. I found it so rewarding. A lot of the pts had a comorbidity on Axis I and II. Too bad I could not make any money doing it. I hope I can specialize in this when I become a PA.

• 1 year later...

There are CAQs available through NCCPA in psychiatry; that can help.

Also you c look for positions where you provide medical care to inpatient behavioral health services, which include detox, inpatient and ED psych, etc.

I am interested in this field, too - currently interviewing (fingers crossed!!).

• 1 year later...

Joel

one little correction: learn the lingo. addicts make progress in their RECOVERY; alcoholics make progress in their SOBRIETY. using the word "sobriety" for recovery from addiction misrepresents the process and perpetuates a confusing terminology. good luck :-)

• 10 months later...

I made the change from Ortho Trauma to Addiction Medicine last August.  I love it.  It can be challenging, at times, but very rewarding.  There are several different settings that offer opportunities for PAs wanting to practice in this field.  I currently work in an Office-Based Opioid Treatment clinic but there are providers in inpatient settings, intensive outpatient therapy, family medicine offices, comprehensive rehab centers, etc.  

Now that PAs and NPs are able to apply for/obtain an XDEA waiver and write for Suboxone, there are likely to be more opportunities than ever!

• 2 weeks later...

I work in a Psychiatry practice that also has a suboxone program.  I have been seeing suboxone patients for follow ups for over a year and just got my DEA buprenorphine waiver so I can prescribe it.  I agree, it is a difficult area to work in but very rewarding. I find it much easier to work with addiction patients (who have sought out treatment) than to deal with my general psych patients who are abusing substances and have zero motivation to change.  I get tired of all the arguing and crying about benzos that occurs in general psych.  I get tired of patients who tell me they smoke pot because it helps their anxiety and in the same breath ask for xanax.  In addiction there is no mystery about the desired outcome of treatment and I have an objective measure of success or failure (the drug screen).  Of course some of my addiction patients have zero motivation to change and just want to sell their suboxone and buy their drug of choice.

I think there will be an increasing number of jobs for PAs in psychiatry and addiction now that we can prescribe buprenorphine (after completing 24 hours of CME) and now that there is a Certificate of Additional Qualifications (CAQ) in psychiatry which will hopefully help us compete with PMHNPs.

Archived