Is Cell Biology necessary for Genetics course?

For those of you who have taken a Genetics course, did Principles of Cell Biology (or whatever your Cell Biology course is called) really prepare you for Genetics or do you feel like one can go into the class without taking Cell Biology? It is not a required pre-req for Genetics at my University. Thank you!

Taking Genetics without Cell Biology you can definitely do. But in my option Cell Biology will help as you will know your cell cycles in and out, DNA structures will be very familiar (histones and such) and basic cell signalling to activate genes will be under your belt to name a few things. If you are very familiar with concept such as these I would go ahead and take genetics. For me, Genetics was considered the hardest course for a Biology major at my university with Cell Biology not far behind, so for me it was to my advantage to take Cell Biology first.

As long as Cell Bio isn't a prerequisite for Genetics at your school, you can get by without it for your Genetics class. Worse case, you can review the phases of mitosis and meiosis from another website. Your Genetics textbook and class powerpoint notes should help you decipher most of the topics discussed, though.

It's not required at my University either and the teacher told me I may be a little behind students who have taken it, but that if I am a motivated learner then I should have no problem getting through the class. I am taking it this next semester without having taking cell bio first, so I will let you know!

I took Genetics without Cell Bio and didn't have any problems. We did cover the basics of mitosis, meiosis, etc. in A&P I, though, so it helped that I was familiar with that. I think there is plenty of supplemental information available on the internet if you come across something you are unsure of, I know I have had to do that a number of times!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By toyosizai
      Hi, 

Just signed up for this forum. 

I am currently a senior in my undergrad, I finish in the Summer 2021. My current cumulative gpa is 3.09 which is very low and for my science courses these are the grades I have made: 
      General Chem 1 & 2: B
      Biology 1 : B
      Biology 2: C 
      Orgo 1: C 
      Orgo 2: F(first time), C (2nd time)  
      Physics 1 & 2: A
      Genetics: B-
      Microbiology: D, I am going to retake. 

I am taking Biochemistry 1 this spring 2021 and other upper-division biology courses where I hope to make As in. 

I would like advice on what I should do to increase my gpa.  Should I enroll in a post-bacc program while getting PCE (through volunteering/shadowing or getting a job at an urgent care or hospital) or should retake the classes I received a C or below in, then start prepping to take the GRE and going through the application process. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you. 

• By AnitaTor
      Hey Pre-PAs' 
      Trying to find a Genetics course 100% online to enroll myself in. The ones I've looked at either  don't offer it or it's class M-F. Please let me know !! And it'd be awesome if it was a community college per cost and a PLUS if it was in TEXAS. So again I need a Genetics 100% online class since that is my only class left in applying for PA Programs.
      **I just came out of work so I feel like I'm messaging and then re-stressing the critical lab value to the attending hahaaa while typing this up. 
    • By AspiringPA2020
      Anyone know if UC San Diego extension courses ( https://extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-programs/biochemistry) count towards most PA school pre-requisites. I need to take Biochemistry and Genetics over the summer. First time applicant and these would be my two in-progress courses. 

UC San Diego's prices are pretty good from what I see. Unfortunately most schools that I e-mailed regarding pre-requisites say they can't provide info on if the course would satisfy their requirements at this time.

Otherwise does anyone have suggestions for where I could take online classes that count towards most schools but still affordable? Currently out of work due to COVID-19.
      Any help is appreciated!
    • By AspiringPA2020
      Anyone know if UC San Diego extension courses ( https://extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-programs/biochemistry) count towards most PA school pre-requisites. I need to take Biochemistry and Genetics over the summer. First time applicant and these would be my two in-progress courses. 

UC San Diego's prices are pretty good from what I see. Unfortunately most schools that I e-mailed regarding pre-requisites say they can't provide info on if the course would satisfy their requirements at this time.

Otherwise does anyone have suggestions for where I could take online classes that count towards most schools but still affordable? Currently out of work due to COVID-19.
      Any help is appreciated!
    • By Jchen14
      Hi guys,
      I've been google searching to no avail regarding where I can take a genetics course online. I am aware that UNE offers an online genetics course, but I would rather NOT take genetics at UNE if possible. Can anyone recommend a university where I can take genetics 100% online? I am working full-time, studying to retake the GRE, and taking biochemistry (repeat course) online concurrently which is why I need to take genetics strictly online. Thank you everyone for the help in advance!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More