Out of school 15 years - opinions??

Hey guys, here is my situation- been out of undergrad for 15 years with a BS in Nutrition. Graduated with a 2.3, but have recently learned that its been over 10 years and my entire GPA is wiped out and will only look at my pre-req class GPA which I will start next month and into the summer. I need to take 36 hours and the GRE as well. Anyone have experience with this long length of time out of college? We're you looked at differently? Did work experience help? The last 15 years I have been a Personal Trainer and Nutritionist as well as competed Professionally in Triathlon for 6 years. Thanks!

Mine isn't 15 yrs. I was out of school for 5 yrs with a BS in Bio. I applied right after I got out of the military before retaking some science pre-reqs because my time limit expired on them and I got into Drexel. The biggest thing for you is to get good grades in the pre-reqs and look at applying at schools that look heavily on the last 45 units. I believe that your gpa is never wiped out, but I do know that schools do look for trends and maturity. I know that some schools have time limits on the sciences, but not on the non sciences. You need to check this out for each school you want to apply to. I took psychology 10 years ago and the schools were fine with it.

I felt I was looked differently because I was out of college for a while, but had healthcare and life experiences from the military that made me a well rounded candidate.

I hope that helps you out.

It was over 20 years before I ever started college. Was a hoot being in my pre reqs class with students who could have been my kids

It was 20 years after high school that I started college to work on my pre-requisites for PA and I WAS in some classes with my daughter !

Its all good, us "older" students I feel have an advantage because we have life experience and don't have a social life to distract us....lol

I don't think it works that way and especially not since all TX schools are CASPA.

^^ This ^^

It may be an uphill battle if the schools only look at the CASPA calculations. TX schools may take the forgiveness approach to for many programs, but PA programs are a different animal. Talking directly to the schools is the best course of action. Look for schools that focus on the last 30-60 credits. If you can ace your pre-recs and pull your average up to a 3.0, then you have a good chance.

To answer your other questions: I know a bit about how you feel. I finished my undergrad (non-science) in 2002. I started my pre-recs for PA in 2011 at 39 years old. A bit weird, but I got used to it. I tended to be the quiet one in class because I think I have to concentrate a bit more now. Was I treated different? Not really, same standards applied to everyone.

My work experience/ethic helped me greatly. I am used to working in stressful environment so school itself wasn't really too taxing in the sense of being "overwealming". School combinded with my work....different story.

Good luck.

Archived