Class of 2016

Yes yes, I know it's a little bit of pre-planning, but I can't help myself. (Side note -- Congratulations to the Class of 2015 about to start their classes soon!! Very exciting). I choose to postpone my application to Mercer by a year because I decided I needed the break. I graduated from college in May with a major in Biology/Pre-Medicine and was not interested in going back to school just 7 months later. I'm happy with the decision, but really looking forward to the challenging application process of Mercer. I applied to Emory as a "run through", and would have been very excited to go there, but by no means was it my #1 choice. MERCER IS!! So I finished my CASPA application in September, still planning to fix a few things here and there, but otherwise anxiously awaiting Mercer's supplemental application to become available. I've been checking multiple times a day since December started -- since the site states that applications will be available in "December 2012 for the 2014 start". A little ambitious? Yes, but excited nonetheless. Looking forward to hearing from others!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of yet, I have not heard anything. I turned in my application just a few weeks ago though. So I am assuming it will take some time since the "priority application" cycle has been open for awhile and I am sure other individuals turned in their applications prior to my own. From previous posts, it sounds like they call and/or email applicants. Still not sure when or if interviews have started?

I'm not sure if interviews have started but from reading previous threads from other classes it seems that there is a pretty quick turnaround and applicants hear pretty quick after their interview if they are accepted. I just turned in my CASPA and supplemental application a few days ago so I'm sure it'll be some time since CASPA has to calculate the GPA and stuff before mailing it out.

I receive a confirmation email form Mercer just days after submitting my CASPA application that they had received it. But that may have been the case because I had previously submitted it to other programs. I also just received communication that my check had been received and posted, and a link to a survey in order to update my patient care hours, etc. since my CASPA app is dated back from September 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering how many outstanding prereqs do most people have outstanding. I'm not sure if I should wait to apply at the end of the spring semester when I'll have completed all but 2 prereqs so that they can see most of my grades or if I should apply now. I don't want to wait too long to apply, but I also know that the more grade that the admission committee has to evaluate, the better. Any thoughts?

I, personally, only have A&P II, which I'm taking now and will finish in May. Since your circumstance is kind of unique because you'll be finishing up classes here soon and then will only have 2 outstanding pre-reqs, I would call up there and talk to someone and see what they suggest. I have been in contact with Ms. Faye Greene and she is very helpful. I don't think this was really much help but I hope it helped a little! haha

• 3 weeks later...

They will accept you with 2 pending classes, other wise they will put you on hold until they are completed. I would have you application in sooner than the end of the springif possible. Also I am sure they are still interviewing, they did start earlier this year than we did last year, but I am sure the class is no where near full yet, so keep updating your patient hours and keep nagging admissions to make sure you application is complete and if there is anything else they suggest you do while in limbo. I know it is not fun but good luck!

-Whitney, PA-S2 (Mercer University)

• 2 months later...

STEPHM and MEAGREED,

The interview was great, intense for me, but great. Every staff member that addressed our group said, "relax, don't be nervous." Like that's easy to do as an interviewee. But it was a great experience overall.

Congrats on getting an interview, btw! That's quite an accomplishment. The staff just want to get to know you as a person as they are tasked with putting together a group of students who will succeed together through overwhelming amounts of content. If you get an interview you've already proved you are capable of learning and working hard. So, be yourself and remember, you're not in competition with the other students in your group as they are potential classmates and future coworkers.

For preparation, I used Andrew Rodican's How to ACE the PA School Interview as a template to organize my answers. Personally, my tip for interviewing is use stories, real ones from your patient care hours, to answer their questions. Don't get bogged down in details, but describe meaningful interactions which are genuine/authentic to demonstrate how dynamic you are. I picked 3 or 4 stories of patent interactions I had and practiced them ad nauseum to the point my wife would just yell out, "BORING!!!!" when I went on too long. It really helped me to reply quickly and confidently.

Best of luck to you and I hope to see you on Oct 25th for the Meet & Greet. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Rob II

Archived