PA requirements in Canada for IMGs

Hello to all,

I am a medical graduate from the Philippines and currently working in Taiwan as a research assistant although the job description is identical to a PA. The job title PA does not exist here in Taiwan so no licensure exam exist. My wife and I are currently applying to immigrate to Canada under the MPNP program of Manitoba.So my question is, am I still required to take the entire 2 year course study to be eligible to take the PA licensure exam? Is there a way that the board committee or body to credit and recognize my medical education and diploma and allow me to take the licensure exam directly? Or maybe take an on the job assessment or something like that. Education is expensive and responsibilities will not allow me to pursue schooling for several years to be eligible for the licensure exam. I hope you understand my situation and any information on my query is highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

I cannot answer for Canada, but I can tell you how I understand the NCCPA to look at IMG applying for certification as PA in the US: they don't. They feel that the PA license implies not only the ability of passing the exam, but end product of a credentialled education process. They specifically do not desire MDs being licensed as PAs.. They feel to do so clouds the picture too much forthe public and the rest of the health care professionals. 10-12 years ago, several IMGs in Florida took the NCCPA to court over this issue, and lost. They control who can, and cannot, be called /licensed as a PA.

I Am afraid that to sit for the certifying exam, you will have to have completed the education.Medical school does not equal PA school. Good luck. Maybe you could figure some way to pass the flex and MSLE, and come here or Canada and work as a full fledged physician?

Thank you for the reply @ rcdavis. Your answer does make sense and I know that my medical education should not give me a "shortcut" to be certified as a PA, be it in the US or Canada. I was just hoping that maybe it could at least make the PA course shorter, meaning some subjects that I have taken be credited. As I stated that my situation won't allow me to pursue the entire course for 2 years.

Regarding your suggestion of becoming a licensed physician, Canada seems very tough for IMGs to get licensed or even enter a residency program in the case I do get licensed. In the US, it seems to be more open to IMGs and I would likely consider that route if other opportunities as a PA in Canada fail to present.

Are there practising PAs in Canada out there that can provide some insights to my inquiry?

Once again thank you for taking the time to answer.

Archived