Ideal number of rotations/length per rotation?

Opinions depend on your love/experience in a field. I love emergency medicine, worked in it for 20 years before PA school and would vote for four months at a min. However, I get more bang for my educational dollar by rotating longer in fields that I have far less experience in. I am currently doing four month family practice which includes peds, gyn, some psych. I could do a year and still not feel I know enough.

Next rotations are gen surg, behavioral med, inpatient, ER, all a month long, then hopefully two electives, each a month, hoping they will be ortho and cardiology.

I'm currently in my EM rotation and really liking it. And it's what I plan to go into. Unfortunately my program only has 4 weeks allotted to EM, so I'm likely going to burn one of my electives in doing an additional 4 weeks in EM. We get two 4-week electives and I'm thinking EM and Ortho. Advice accepted. Maybe I'll do a Trauma instead of EM? or critical care?

• 3 weeks later...

EM is actually one of our longer rotations at Arcadia, I've noticed most programs have longer rotations for FM and IM but haven't seen another with extra time in EM. As for variety, I would look for a program with at least 2 elective rotations. You can use them to supplement where you lack experience, where you want to specialize, or to do something you will never have the chance to do again. I wouldn't attend a program without an elective, and wouldn't be very interested in a program with only 1 elective.

4 week rotations:

General Surgery

Internal Medicine

Pediatrics

Women's Health

Community Medicine (options include geriatrics and psych)

Elective 1, Elective 2, Elective 3

8 week rotations:

Emergency Medicine

Family Practice

Geriatrics & Psychiatry split into two

General Surgery

Emergency Medicine

Obstetrics/Gynecology

Pediatrics

Internal Medicine

Family Medicine

Elective I

Elective II

Elective III

All are 5 weeks each. I love love love the fact that we have 3 electives. Kinda sucks that we can only set up 1 totally new rotation on our own but Ill figure that all out later Oh also lovin the fact that there are 3 postgrad training programs at my school and our graduates get preferential consideration.....yessss:;DD:

Archived