Just got my contract......4 months notice???

I just received my contract for the EM offer that I recently posted about in the general discussion thread. I am concerned about a clause in the contract that requires that I give a 4 month notice in the event that I wish to resign. I am not taking the position with the expectation of leaving soon, but I just cannot imagine a scenario where I would have a "next job" waiting in the wings for 4 months. It almost seems like one would have to resign and then start looking for another job.

Oh, and I can forget trying to negotiate this as they seem steadfast in this 4 month requirement.

What is the typical notice requirement?? Would this be a deal-breaker if you were in my shoes?

What is the typical notice requirement?? Would this be a deal-breaker if you were in my shoes?

I don't know of a "typical" requirement for termination/resignation requirements. I've had 6 weeks and now am working with a 3 week notice. Just wondering...does this also require the employer to the same time period in the case of termination?

Sounds like the ball is in their court all the way. They put a lot of money and time into training you and then want to make sure you don't just up and leave them hanging to go to GREENER pastures. Did you ask if this was normal or something new? Are you their first midlevel or are there others? Do they have the same clause? Four months is a lot of time...you're going to have a heck of a time with this unless you decide this is where you want to stay...

Nope. They can terminate at will.

Most states can terminate at will without any type of explanation.

I agree with Marilyn....your employers obviously have chosen this extended time for a reason. Open up the discussion about this with them as a business discussion so you can understand the "why" behind this. I know you said this wasn't negotiable but no reason not to be informed about their preferences.

I just received my contract for the EM offer that I recently posted about in the general discussion thread. I am concerned about a clause in the contract that requires that I give a 4 month notice in the event that I wish to resign. I am not taking the position with the expectation of leaving soon, but I just cannot imagine a scenario where I would have a "next job" waiting in the wings for 4 months. It almost seems like one would have to resign and then start looking for another job.

Oh, and I can forget trying to negotiate this as they seem steadfast in this 4 month requirement.

My last contract was three months notice. This is reasonable for most places. Its going to take you three months to get credentialled and get insurance stuff done. Its going to take them longer to replace you. On the other hand my contract required them to give three months for non-renewal. Thats the rub. If they are willing to give 4 months notice for non-cause contract renewal then its OK. Otherwise you have to decide if its a deal breaker.

The other thing that you have to look at is the penalty for breaking the contract. Ie if you leave without notice what is the penalty? In a right to work state they can't prevent you from leaving. On the other hand they can make you pay a substantial penalty for leaving early (ie you have to pay them 4 months salary if you quit without notice). Have a lawyer look at the contract. From a non-lawyer view if there is no penalty its just another non-enforceable contract item.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Thanks for all of the replies. First, to answer a few questions .......

The reasoning I am given is that it may take them a month to find someone and three months to credential them. This is not a new policy and everyone (apparently) is subject to the same contract item. They employ many mid-levels - I am not the first.

David, either party may terminate the contract with 120 days notice. They also may terminate at will for performance issues or loss of facility contract with no notice required. I do not know what the penalty is, but I will try to find out today.

Proballr32.....yep.

• 2 weeks later...

one possible loop loop hole - hand back in your state license if your next job is in a different state..... my last contact was 3 months notice but immediate if I lost a license..... was supposed to be for both parties but they gave me two months....... and called it three - - - needless to say I was happy to leave as they only cared about the money and just blow through staff

I've had several contracts with a 90-day termination clause. The shortest was 30 days (that seemed ridiculously short, but it was a blessing as it was my least-favorite job). 120 days does seem a little long, but not totally off-the-wall. My supervising doc's contract stated she must give ONE YEAR's notice after she had been with the group for 10 years. Before that it was 6 months!

• 7 years later...

Archived