Letters of Recommendation

Is there a timeframe that letters of recommendation need to be completed? If I am applying to PA school in 2015 can I get the PA that I am shadowing to write me a LOR now or do I have to wait until it’s closer to 2015? Both myself and the PA I shadow move around a lot so it may potentially be an issue getting the LOR closer to the application date. I’m not sure how colleges want the LOR submitted. Does the PA give the recommendation to me and I submit it with my application or does he submit it directly to the school? Is it electronically submitted or does he/I have to send it to the school through the mail? Will it look weird to the admissions board that the letter is from 2012?

I shadowed a PA 2 years ago and even though I stayed in contact periodically with her, she didn't remember "little details" two years after I shadowed her when she wrote a letter for me this summer. Now, regardless of how far away applications may be, I have found it is better to ask people for letters while you're still working with them or right afterwards, because they can more easily remember details or specific experiences with you that are going to be more personalized than just a generalized letter. I know the CASPA online system can make this tricky, but thats just my opinion.

Your references will be submitted during the time that you apply so whoever you want to do it must do it then. You should have at least one letter from a PA but you should try to get one from someone other than the one you shadowed, and it should be fairly current not outdated. If all you did was observe them they can not say anything about your skills or how you deal with situations, which leads to a weak reference letter. You want your reference letters to be strong and speak not just to your character and personality but about your potential being a PA.

Archived