No EMT Jobs in my area...

I was hoping to do the EMT-B here in SoCal at the community college I'm attending, which will cost me $1,250... which would be fine, because I think it's worth it. The thing is, I've looked at online job postings (Indeed.com, Monster.com, etc.) and it seems like there's no jobs in my particular area for EMT-B (Not even ER Tech). Would it be wise to spend the cash/time on the program if I probably won't find a job here to utilize the cert or should I find something else that's more marketable in the area?

One option would be to get the EMT-B cert, and when I transfer, find something there. There's more jobs near Irvine, Orange County, etc. near the bigger cities.

Anyone have any advice? I appreciate it!

I'm an EMT (ER Tech) in So Cali. There's plenty of jobs. You need to go directly to the ambulance companies such as Care, Mercy, Good Shepard, McCormick, MedCoast, and PRN just to name a few. Unfortunately they are mostly IFT jobs but it's a start. Getting an ER tech job is very hard in our area. Those jobs are limited and highly sought after. It's really about who you know with most these hospitals because they tend to hire EMTs that they've had regular contact with. I took my class at CIEMT in long beach area for $870 if you want to try and save money. M-F 4pm - 10pm x 4 weeks.

Something else you can do is go to Regan Career Institute and get an EKG tech license to expand jobs you can apply to, it also pays more than ER Tech / EMT on an ambulance. Sat & Sun 8am-5pm x 4 weekends.

Something else you can do is start out as an orderly or volunteer at a hospital if you're trying to get into that setting. Something else you can do is get a phlebotomy license through UCI Medical center, they usually hire their graduates and help with job placement a little for nice positions. They also get paid more than EMTs / ER Techs.

Thanks for the wealth of information, guys. I'm so relieved to read that I'm wrong, because I'm really excited about getting my EMT-B. I will definitely look into AMR, as I'm in Riverside County. As long as there's something I can do, I don't mind if its paid or volunteer. So I can pretty much dismiss these online job postings, which makes me feel better lol.

Thanks again for being extremely helpful guys.

As a former AMR employee I suggest that if/when you interview with them you may want to keep your plans for PA school quiet if you can do so while not being untruthful. AMR is a large corporation that is used to high turn over, but the local managers do the hiring and may not want to invest a bunch of energy/money training a new guy only to have that new guy wander off in a year or so.

I don't advocate lying...but perhaps your future goals may lean towards exploring the field of emergency medicine, starting with a few years in the pre hospital setting? (hint hint)

I feel your pain - I checked with the local colleges here and they have a 20% employment rate post graduation for EMTs. I'd not only check with the local hiring agencies but check with the colleges, too.. they can kind of give you an idea how much trouble they've been having placing their recent grads, etc.

Finish your EMT course and towards the end start calling the ambulance companies directly. Not everyone, or even very many, use those online job postings. I have found Craigslist to have more postings then Monster. I have worked pre-hospital and also just recently got back into a ER as a tech. I can tell you that most hospitals will want you to have at least 6-12 months of experience before you can start in the ER. But like someone else already posted, sometimes it is who you know. Working on a BLS ambulance isn't glory work at all but it can get you some experience to really sick people if you take advantage of it especially if you can work CCT (Critical Care Transport). Good luck.

Archived