Worried about finding work as a PA

I'm going to be applying to PA school and lately I find myself concerned about finding a job once I'm out. I wonder about how prevatlent PA positions are. I've heard that they are very good to excellent but I've been told that about other professions I've taken on and later couldn't find work in them. Also, even if the prospects are good, are they only experienced PAs? The research I've done seems to suggest that like most other professions, everyone looking to hire a PA all want or at least prefer the PA to have experience. So, what do you do if you're a fresh grad? I'm very motivated to become a PA but certainly do not want to embark on such debt only to be no more marketable than I was as an MLT or anything else, for that matter. I've spent far too much time already listening to people say, "I'm sorry but we're looking for someone with more experience," or worse still, "Sorry but we're not hiring, right now."

There are several placement agencies, Facebook sites, this forum, head hunting sites like indeed.com the list goes on... look at all of those, plus your own state PA association to see what jobs are available, where they are available at...follow this trend as you make your way through school so you can be forward thinking.

Also...sometimes experience doesn't mean ONLY PA experience. My CV goes back many years, showing a history of direct patient care. Of course this will not put me above and beyond a seasoned PA, but I'll bet you money it gives me a leg up on my fellow grads/new PAs when we both put in for the same job.

As far as location goes, I'm looking at certain areas of Florida. Type of medicine? I'm pretty open to what is available. I'm not getting up in arms or anything, but not a lot of this over flows me with confidence. Please don't misunderstand me. It is not my intention to offend anyone, but it sounds as though finding a job as a PA is limited in comparison to finding a job as an MD. Any thoughts on that?

As far as location goes, I'm looking at certain areas of Florida. Type of medicine? I'm pretty open to what is available. I'm not getting up in arms or anything, but not a lot of this over flows me with confidence. Please don't misunderstand me. It is not my intention to offend anyone, but it sounds as though finding a job as a PA is limited in comparison to finding a job as an MD. Any thoughts on that?

hhmmmmmmmm perhaps Med School may be a better match for you?

If you don't like the job outlook, you can't go very far afield, you find MDs have a better time of it...why are you looking at PA school? If you want medicine what about nursing, sonagrapher, pharmacy, laboratory, respiratory therapy, anesthesia, radiology, perfusionist, hospital administration, surgical technology, product rep for any variety of medical equipment, psychology, social work, addiction work...so many bloody options...

For maximum probability of finding a job in a specific area go to med school. It sounds like a better fit for you.

hhmmmmmmmm perhaps Med School may be a better match for you?

If you don't like the job outlook, you can't go very far afield, you find MDs have a better time of it...why are you looking at PA school? If you want medicine what about nursing, sonagrapher, pharmacy, laboratory, respiratory therapy, anesthesia, radiology, perfusionist, hospital administration, surgical technology, product rep for any variety of medical equipment, psychology, social work, addiction work...so many bloody options...

I already am a medical laboratory technician (MLT). I want to play a more active/decisive role in medicine. Not to suggest that my priorities are in the wrong place but I also seek job security and I have discovered that being a MLT doesn't necessarily provide it. That which I had read and heard about the PA profession made it sound as though it would be a good fit for me. While being an MD would be nice, I don't really wish to dedicate 7 years minimum to becoming a doctor. Besides, I've often heard that the MD profession is overrated with pay that is not comensurate with the stress and limited personal life. I've read that as a PA, one can still have a life.

My personal story is that I had two job offers in/near my hometown before graduating. A third was offered after I started practicing. Several have opened up since then within 30 miles of where I live; we are rural and PAs are not widely used in my neck of the woods. But the jobs are there to be had. A classmate of mine is also employed locally. I think everyone who has wanted a job has gotten one in the location they wanted. The jobs are out there. They're going to become more plentiful by 2014, most likely. So, I'd say you're covered.

I'd like to add that I'm a little gun shy about entering a new profession ever since I graduated from MLT school. There are a lot of jobs for MLTs, too, and I've applied for them. I'd gotten two interviews and no offers and that was after a great many applications. I don't know if the problem is that there are more MLTs than there are vacancies for them, if it's a matter of experience or education, or what. I just don't want to arrive in the PA profession only to find that the situation is essentially the same as it is for MLTs.

In the many years I have practiced as a PA, I have met numerous "PA wanna-be's". The common denominator is this: whenever I saw a passion or a true desire to become a PA, a strange DRIVE, or force, or goal to become one, and treat patients, or sit for the boards and pass, or land the ortho PA job and picture themselves doing nothing on this planet but THAT... or dreaming about becoming the E-med PA at their local ER and run the codes... whenever I heard "PA wanna-be's" talk about wanting to apply to PA school for the right reasons, NOTHING stopped them, I mean nothing. Not a bad economy, not a high unemployment rate, not a high tuition, nor a long list of pre-req's.

And guess what? whenever the skeptical doubted their success, such PA Wanna-be's ignored the skeptics and kept on working hard. These people want to be a PA for the right reasons. And I support them, and celebrate them because they DO become PA's.

It is a very competitive field. I hope everyone who applies to PA school has truly made up their mind and heart and does not take an opportunity from someone who really understands what our profession is all about. Hey, we were told this upon application time, back in the early nineties. Things haven't changed much.

we were told this upon application time, back in the early nineties. Things haven't changed much.

I was in pa school in the early 90's. our class took a poll right before graduation. one question was "what should a new grad pa make?" we all agreed 40k was a fair salary( we were all rn's, medics, and rt's making 35k/yr or so). things have changed a bit....

I got offered a job before even starting school. They offered to pay my way through school, plus a little to live on each month and health/dental/vision insurance for my whole family. 30 vacation days/year (which they'll give me 60 after graduation for being on "payroll" in school), CME, insurance for my family, and guaranteed best training in medicine. Not to mention all the autonomy I desire and a residency that only people who work there can apply for. Only 70k per year for a few years, but I get lots of tax breaks. Guess who it is yet? :) I know they are hiring if you are interested.

I got offered a job before even starting school. They offered to pay my way through school, plus a little to live on each month and health/dental/vision insurance for my whole family. 30 vacation days/year (which they'll give me 60 after graduation for being on "payroll" in school), CME, insurance for my family, and guaranteed best training in medicine. Not to mention all the autonomy I desire and a residency that only people who work there can apply for. Only 70k per year for a few years, but I get lots of tax breaks. Guess who it is yet? :) I know they are hiring if you are interested.

your uncle samuel's place....

Like a lot of other people said, it all depends on your flexibility. With healthcare reform and universal healthcare on the horizon, the medical system will have more jobs than ever moving into the future. Mid-level practitioners are an excellent , cost-effective way to staff your practice and everybody sees this. Whereas a private practice used to be 3 doctors, now it's two docs and two PAs. Better coverage, less money. Also, the role of mid-levels, in particular PAs, is ever expanding. The hardest spot will be as a new graduate because a lot of the jobs you'll want will require two years experience. As a new grad you MAY have to "settle" for a job paying 75k/year in a specialty you aren't thrilled about. That's worst case, assuming you don't live in a super rural area. The future looks bright, my friend....

• 2 weeks later...
Where do I sign up!? Seriously though..how did you land that?

Me? Applied for the scholarship. Getting harder to get these days. They eliminated the HPSP from the Navy and decreased the HSCP slots to 10 for the whole country. Need a good app and more importantly you need to time your application right.

I had 8 interviews and had 8 offers as a new grad. I was very pleased to have options and opportunities! The PA outlook when I graduated was very good. Talking with my other classmates, we all had no problem getting job offers.

And like all positions there will be some that say new graduates welcome to apply and others will say experienced preferred.

If becoming a PA is what you want to be then go for it. Risks and all!

For me it was well worth the risk. And so much reward (and responsibility).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the many years I have practiced as a PA, I have met numerous "PA wanna-be's". The common denominator is this: whenever I saw a passion or a true desire to become a PA, a strange DRIVE, or force, or goal to become one, and treat patients, or sit for the boards and pass, or land the ortho PA job and picture themselves doing nothing on this planet but THAT... or dreaming about becoming the E-med PA at their local ER and run the codes... whenever I heard "PA wanna-be's" talk about wanting to apply to PA school for the right reasons, NOTHING stopped them, I mean nothing. Not a bad economy, not a high unemployment rate, not a high tuition, nor a long list of pre-req's.

And guess what? whenever the skeptical doubted their success, such PA Wanna-be's ignored the skeptics and kept on working hard. These people want to be a PA for the right reasons. And I support them, and celebrate them because they DO become PA's.

It is a very competitive field. I hope everyone who applies to PA school has truly made up their mind and heart and does not take an opportunity from someone who really understands what our profession is all about. Hey, we were told this upon application time, back in the early nineties. Things haven't changed much.

Well said, zepoPA. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just graduated at the end of October, and got my license a couple of weeks ago. I have been interviewing since August, I got offered jobs by all but one. I had to refuse several places, as I cannot do more than 3 jobs. I average 60 hours and gross about $135K-$140K between the 3 jobs, full time primary care, part time urgent care and retail medicine. I do this not because of money, as I only have $60K in student loans, but I want to be a well rounded clinician and gain experience in every aspect of medicine. In 2-3 years, after all my debts paid off, I will be able to work fewer hours but since I have experience, I will earn more.

Your CV is the one most important thing as it is the first contact with your future employer, so glorify it. Of course never lie, but make sure you detail all your knowledge and skills during your clinical rotations since rotations will be your only clinical experience as a new graduate. This requires you to be very active and motivated during your rotations and ask to do procedures whenever opportunities arise. Each time I submitted my CV, I got an interview call. Landing a job or not depends on your interviewing skills. Make sure you reemphasize your knowledge and skills. This is actually a good time to brag about yourself. Show them what you got.

Archived