Help for a friend who just started her first PA job!

I am wondering if any of you can offer any advice. I just received a frantic call from a PA school friend who just started a hospital job. They are required to change into scrubs in the hospital once they get there. She called me and said, "What do I do?! The scrubs don't fit here!" I asked her what she meant and she said she tried on the largest size they had and they are too small in the pants on her hips. She is a larger girl, but I have seen much larger people in hospitals and they were wearing scrubs. But she swears the largest size they have is 2X. She has them on, but is afraid to sit down.

I feel so badly that she has to deal with this on her first day. On top of that, she has already lost 80 pounds! I can't even imagine how demoralizing this must be.

Do hospitals have special procedures to get larger scrubs? They told her at orientation she can't wear her own. As a new PA, I'm at a loss too.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Sheryl

Sure. As a lady "of size", she can do two things: ask the department secretary of whichever department she is working in to call central supply ( or wherever) and order her some 3x or 4x sizes. Even better would be for her to buy her own .. Can get some matching scrubs, even monogrammed , for about 20 bucks a pair. She wouldn't need more than 4 pair. Of course she will have to launder them her selves else they will get lost in the shuffle unless the laundry will reco Ziegler monogram and divert them to her. Not an unusual problem.. But easy to solve

Sure. As a lady "of size", she can do two things: ask the department secretary of whichever department she is working in to call central supply ( or wherever) and order her some 3x or 4x sizes. Even better would be for her to buy her own .. Can get some matching scrubs, even monogrammed , for about 20 bucks a pair. She wouldn't need more than 4 pair. Of course she will have to launder them her selves else they will get lost in the shuffle unless the laundry will reco Ziegler monogram and divert them to her. Not an unusual problem.. But easy to solve

Thanks. What about the hospital policy that you can't wear your own? Would they make exceptions since there is a sizing issue?

They will have to accommodate for her size; either by making appropriate sizing available or allowing her to wear her own. She could, if cannot get satisfaction via these two avenues, go to human resources and pitch a fit.. Discrimination etc... Unless as a matter of employ,Ent contract they specified that she be able to we're the scrubs available.

It is a hospital job and she didn't even sign a contract I don't think. So no issues there (and obviously, that would never be in a contract). And we live in Michigan, which is a state where weight discrimination is not allowed. Hopefully she can find some pants, as the top fits fine. I was just looking online to see what I found, but the colors of the the scrubs are not what most surgical scrubs I've seen are. I rotated at the hospital where she now works so I know what color she needs, but it's hard to find. It's like that bluish color (not "surgical green" and not "ceil"). I hope she can find some. I offered to go with her tomorrow to the scrub stores in the area. So hopefully she'll get lucky and find a good fit.

Scrubs don't fit me well either...do they fit anyone with hips well? I'm just thankful I can fit in them.

I agree with looking at the mens scrubs, or try a different floor. For one of my rotations during school, I would run down to a different floor that had larger sizes that I could fit into, but looked the same. No one knew the difference or noticed that I used a different locker room.

You are a very good and kind friend! Keep giving your friend the acknowledgement of her success, encouragement and the support you are showing. I'm sure she needs it right now.

Archived