The dreaded interview question: Why do you want to be a PA?

It seems like common sense, right? Of course I know why I want to be a PA, I just don't know how to put it into words! I have an interview at PCOM in 2 weeks and I am wondering if there are appropriate/inappropriate ways to answer this question? Is there any advice on how to figure out how get my answer out in a clearcut sharp statement? I had an interview at Drexel and I wasn't prepared and I blew it. I really want to get this question down!

Thanks everyone!

I think it is best to make it as personal as possible.

For most of us its probably going to have to be something along the lines of MD, NP, Nurse weren't right fit for you and alternatively why PA was right (include your experience as you go). I would really look into the book "Getting into the Physician Assistant school of your choice" by Andrew Rodican. He goes through a lot of common interview questions and the best answers/why they are good answers. Definitely worth the 15-20 dollars!

Q: What did the zen master say to the hot dog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything.

Q': What did the hot dog vendor say to the zen master when he asked for his change?

A': Change must come from within.

I surely hope this sort of stuff doesn't actually occur during interviews. Why would anyone be expected to know such random stuff?

I'm referring to the specific questions; not the meaning behind the questions

Half the battle with interviews is NOT the answer, but rather HOW you answer the question. People get their knickers in a knot about the supposed "correct answer" but many questions are opinion based or personal experience based. Confidence, positive body language, some semblance of communication ability tells the interviewer more about you than they actual words.

Just like interviewing a patient.... How they answer plays a vital role in the whole picture

I think it is best to make it as personal as possible.

For most of us its probably going to have to be something along the lines of MD, NP, Nurse weren't right fit for you and alternatively why PA was right (include your experience as you go). I would really look into the book "Getting into the Physician Assistant school of your choice" by Andrew Rodican. He goes through a lot of common interview questions and the best answers/why they are good answers. Definitely worth the 15-20 dollars!

Thanks so much! I'll have to look into getting that book! I get major interview anxiety. I know it's all about taking a deep breath and just relaxing but idk what it is, I always get nervous

Everyone is nervous. You have to accept that as par for the course. It's a high pressure, relatively high stakes situation that has many overtones of "make or break situation". (while it's not that extreme in reality, it sure feels like it at the moment). Embrace the nervousness, laugh about it, recognize it, joke about it...then file it to the side. Give the nerves their due credit then put them off to the side and focus on the task on hand.

I don't see why you would explain why you don't want to be an MD or an NP when they ask why you want to be a PA. Try to avoid the (direct) comparisons as much as possible (unless asked, of course) because you don't want to risk offending someone, or say you don't like (or worse, can't handle) some aspect of healthcare that you don't yet realize a PA has to deal with and the interviewer does. If you can finish the question while making clear that these other professions don't have what you're looking for without pointing fingers at any of them, they won't wonder if you wish you were at a med school interview instead. Plus answering "why do you want to be...?" with "Why I don't want to be..." sounds negative, slightly off topic, and could sound like you are essentially settling rather than super duper oober excited to be a PA. Do you want to practice medicine? Why? Do you have interests in more than one specialty area? What personal/work related experiences made you realize this profession fit you so well? What do you want to provide for your patients that makes PA the best choice? Explain it to yourself, your friends, your family, your dog, and you will be fine. Don't memorize sentences though because it will definitely sound like it, and more than anything, let them see how passionate you are when you answer that question. SMILE even. :-)

Haha well if only I was a guy applying to PA school lol...

But they are asking why you want to be a PA... They are NOT asking why you want to go into medicine. In fact that is one of the BIGGEST mistakes you can make in a PA school interview! Do NOT answer the question why you want to be a PA with why do you want to go into medicine. You don't have to put other professions down, you just have to point out the things that make the PA profession unique.... I made that mistake at my first interview... never again will I do that... that was the worst thing I could have done (well maybe not the worst)

Why PA was one of the easier questions I was asked. The best one I had was "if you were and animal, what would it be"? I laughed....but answered.

This is a PERFECT example of my point that most of the time it's HOW you answer a question. They don't care what animal you are..it's not like they can fault you on your personal answer. It's HOW you answer.. can you think on your feet, can you deal with the unexpected, can you quickly construct a reply without melting down....

Javelina (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/land/habitats/trans_pecos/big_game/javelina/) might good for a laugh but the first thought that came to mind was "Honey Badger, cuz I don't give a ****" ;-) (for those who are somehow unaware of the Honey Badger... use caution, there is foul language

)

"Honey Badger, cuz I don't give a ****" ;-)

Hahahaha best answer ever! I am crying. Really needed a good laugh, too.

The animal question is great and might have tripped me up. My first thought (as a tired PA student who should be studying) was "A cat, so I can get some darn sleep." Obviously can't say that in an interview so I froze up, laughed to myself, and thought of a beaver or dolphin...I'd have been awkward in an interview.

• 2 months later...
Half the battle with interviews is NOT the answer, but rather HOW you answer the question. People get their knickers in a knot about the supposed "correct answer" but many questions are opinion based or personal experience based. Confidence, positive body language, some semblance of communication ability tells the interviewer more about you than they actual words.

Just like interviewing a patient.... How they answer plays a vital role in the whole picture

Makes sense ... Thanks

Archived