Bad PA press. List here for PAFT to respond

Yeah, me too.  A few years ago some of us PAs from Clinician1 wrote the DEA about the terminology and got back a government-speak response on why that term will remain in their vocabulary.

• 1 month later...

^^^^ The physicians who were asked to comment are supportive of patient care and for PA/NPs to provide the care as long as we are qualified.  They note that there are turf wars within the physician specialities as well.  Jennifer Winter responded in the  comments section and she is a derm PA and is/was Derm PA society president. She was contacted to comment and did so. 

I thought it was a fairly balanced article.  

• 3 weeks later...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/shootings-dad-wanted-life-kids-26290163

"The slayings occurred as David and Cynthia Mohney were entrenched in a bitter divorce after nearly 25 years of marriage. Court filings showed David Mohney wanted to leave his wife and move with their children to South Dakota. He had recently finished chiropractic school while she supported the family working as a physician's assistant, making $220,000"

• 3 weeks later...

This article about the VA mentions NPs but not PAs.

"Some experts question whether provider gaps could be filled by nurse practitioners, new technology and the reallocation of medical residents to regions that need practitioners most."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/us/politics/needing-to-hire-chief-of-va-tries-to-sell-doctors-on-change-.html?referrer=

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.argusobserver.com/independent/news/studying-and-planning-prepares-payette-student-for-success/article_cb8ad5c0-7008-11e4-8e1b-fb06e8d1befe.html

This article isn't really something that someone needs to respond to... but it's one example of how far we still have to go in educating the general public (including high schoolers who are interested in a career path). There are many things that are great about this young student; especially aspiring to a career... there are also many things that she has no clue about when it comes to the PA profession, medical education, and choosing a career in general! 

Here are a few quotes: "Fuller’s study routine is not the only thing she has got down; she also has strategically planned her career. She is currently applying to colleges across the country. She plans to become a physician’s assistant and, eventually, a doctor.

Although many students striving to become doctors launch into medical school right away, Fuller said she wants to become a physician’s assistant first because she can earn an income sooner rather than later.

“I wanted to be a doctor, but that takes 10 to 12 years before you can start making money, and I didn’t want to wait that long,” said Fuller. “I plan to become a physician’s assistant and start working and become stable.”

After she gains enough experience, Fuller can then decide which medical field to pursue, and then finish up her schooling, join a residency program and become a full-fledged doctor."

“I wanted to be a doctor, but that takes 10 to 12 years before you can start making money, and I didn’t want to wait that long,” said Fuller. “I plan to become a physician’s assistant and start working and become stable."

After she gains enough experience, Fuller can then decide which medical field to pursue, and then finish up her schooling, join a residency program and become a full-fledged doctor.

Haha, have fun with that mess.

Seriously though, how many iPhones, iPads, laptops, home computers, school computers, etc. does this girl have access to that she can't Google this "plan" for 5 minutes and see what a train wreck her thought process is.

I think somebody heard about PAs once and then painted their own reality from there.

• Upvote 1

I would not be surprised if an alternate road to an MD or equivalent developed along the lines of what she is suggesting in 20 odd years.  People already do exactly what she is suggesting and given the propensity of high earning medical professionals to marry high earning medical professionals only makes it easier to reinvest in one of the pair's education at some point.  As it becomes more and more necessary to acquire a master's level degree in a highly technical field to guarantee a wage double the "living wage", a master's degree will invariably become the entry level degree into the professional workforce.  I would not be the least bit surprised if our lives become a much longer scholastic trek with periods of employment and periods of reinvestment.  The PA profession is a testament to that vision.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why would anyone add the time it takes to become a PA on to the already long process of becoming a doctor? That is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Not to mention that they're taking a spot away from a person that really wants to be a PA.

SoCal you would be surprised at the number of HS and College career counselors recommending this exact pathway.  I've heard this as far back as the late 80s. Just saying.

• Upvote 2

This may already be addressed somewhere on the forum: http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-100-best-jobs

NPs are practically physicians and can prescribe, whereas PAs are humble and supervised.

We got some better... wording(?)... in 2015's update:

"No. 10: Physician Assistant 

Physician assistants aren't also-ran medical professionals who treat you when the doctor is too busy. They're well-trained personnel who diagnose ailments, analyze test results, monitor patient progress and prescribe treatment and medicine. Their skills and training are imperative to fulfill the growing need to see and treat more patients due to an aging population and the flux of health care reform. The BLS predicts 38.4 percent growth for the No. 10 job between 2012 and 2022."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-jobs-2015-120000200.html

• Upvote 1

When this came out, it was going around my PA class in emails and facebook post usually accompanied with captions like, "ya! we made the top 10!" But when I saw I was confused and annoyed. Why are PAs #10 while NPs are #2? the only numbers given with the description were job growth outlook and PAs had the highest on the list! It's great that we made the list, but we are below many career that definitely aren't a great as being a PA (dental hygienist?), i would be curious to know what this ranking system was based on, but i'm guessing the answer would be bogus.

When this came out, it was going around my PA class in emails and facebook post usually accompanied with captions like, "ya! we made the top 10!" But when I saw I was confused and annoyed. Why are PAs #10 while NPs are #2? the only numbers given with the description were job growth outlook and PAs had the highest on the list! It's great that we made the list, but we are below many career that definitely aren't a great as being a PA (dental hygienist?), i would be curious to know what this ranking system was based on, but i'm guessing the answer would be bogus.

It's mostly subjective bunk. PA makes the list every year and jumps around. They do look at degree cost/salary and projected job growth, but it's mostly a fluff piece for "what's the best job" headlines. I wouldn't worry about it. It would probably be better overall if the PA profession fell off this and other lists (like Forbes), as it probably attracts some people who select the profession solely for that reason.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

My high school created a video highlighting its activities/students/etc., which I thought it was pretty cool until the 1:00 mark. One of the teachers, who is also probably the most ineffective educator I have ever had, responded to a students aspirations to be a PA in a negative way, and it really irks me. 

I want to talk with the student and share some information about the PA profession. I may not change her career plans, but I do want to make sure she isn't misinformed.  I've also been trying to think of a way to contact the teacher and educate her, but I think my feelings about her personally are getting in the way of being about to do it tactfully. Any suggestions? If I wanted to be a doctor, I would have gone to med school. Choosing to be a PA does not mean one sets their standards low.

I know the general consensus of high school to PA is on here, but any chance PAFT can make a call/write a letter to this school defending the profession in general. I think describing it as "having low standards" is so far from the truth, its laughable.

I'm debating calling, but that probably won't go over well. Someone from the local area might have a better impact. 

Montville High School, Oakdale, Connecticut 
  1. Address800 Old Colchester Road, Oakdale, CT 06370
  2. Phone(860) 848-9208

A response from the Connecticut PA association is the first line of defense.  Is there anyone on the Forum from CT?  The CT PA association can offer an educational session to the high school and make the corrections for the next video, if one is ever done.  Or they could send a letter, too. 

PAFT responds to these articles/posts/videos when it is more of a general nature from a generic or general written perspective.  We are asking the state associations to respond to something like this, and then if wanted, the state association can contact us for a formal letter to be sent.

I think a personal call from a CT PA will do more good and could set up a relationship with the school for opportunities for showcasing the PA profession.