Bad PA press. List here for PAFT to respond

This isn't necessarily bad "press" but on NPI data base website https://npidb.org/doctors/physician_assistants they provide a pretty poor reflection on what a PA is or does.  A lot of time when someone googles a PA this is one of the links that pops up giving their NPI number.  There description of a PA is:

"A physician assistant is a person who has successfully completed an accredited education program for physician assistant, is licensed by the state and is practicing within the scope of that license. Physician assistants are formally trained to perform many of the routine, time-consuming tasks a physician can do. In some states, they may prescribe medications. They take medical histories, perform physical exams, order lab tests and x-rays, and give inoculations. Most states require that they work under the supervision of a physician"

Meanwhile, the description of what an NP can do seems a lot more flattering. 

That needs immediate revision and a formal letter to whomever is responsible for content.

I love being described as "menial" as I adjust insulin, dx and tx acute CHF and wade through a mumps epidemic in a snowstorm while seeing the cough that is lung cancer and the baby with pyloric stenosis -- all in one day.

NPI of all resources should have an editor or vetting process.

Sheesh

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I read this article when it came out and the only thing I could think is that they rope one doc into a chair for twelve hours to listen to multiple PAs from multiple hospitals give a 30 second statement and shine the camera at a patient so the additional 15 percent can be billed. A rip off for all concerned. I bet they only do that for patients who whom incident to applies. Even so there is no value added.

• Upvote 1

Um, we don't even do suture removals in our clinic; the nurses do those, and only come get a clinician if something looks weird.

Seriously.  One of my ED's we have to see them (likely for billing), the other, the nurses do them.  I would last about 2 seconds in a job that required doc approval for suture removal.  Nope.  

We are pretty autonomous where I work (level 2 trauma)  Our newbies are supposed to work 2's with the docs but after that time period (2 years I think?) we are basically left to our own devices.  I discuss cases when I need to and occasionally get the obligatory "hey 37 looks sick, you good?" as they are going the other direction.  My SP will occasionally push me on my rationale for certain labs/tests if we are on shift together but he'd probably tell me to fly a kite if I asked him to see a suture removal! 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/20/health/dermatology-skin-cancer.html?action=click&contentCollection=science&contentPlacement=8&module=stream_unit&pgtype=sectionfront&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Fsection%2Fscience&region=stream&rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fscience&version=latest#commentsContainer

yikes.  This one is a doozy.  And prepare yourself if you browse the comment section. 

Seems like the author is confounding unethical behavior with increased use of PAs.  Eek. 

If the the link doesn’t work, it’s from the science section of today’s nytimes.