PCOM Class of 2013

I'll second that! In honor of the official kickoff of the 2013 class acceptance period, I went ahead and setup a Facebook group, under PCOM PA Class of 2013. (Why not, really... the Facebook is what all the kids are using these days, I'm told.) Join on up if so inclined, and congrats to all!

(Oh, and... this *is* Facebook, so if you do join, please don't post anything that you wouldn't be willing to say in your interview...!)

Congrats everyone! I will be applying in April to matriculate Fall 2012! I was wondering, when you do find out whether or not your accepted? Assuming you get your application out right away, do people usually find out right about this time? Also, I was wondering if you could post your stats. Thanks!! =)

Well, the "where I'm living" part is easy... I'm a 30-year-old fogey, and I already own a house in the area. ^_^ I *would* suggest to anyone looking for where to live, to try and find a location that lets you avoid using 76 or 476 for commuting to campus. Those highways can be really insufferable. Oh, and if you find an apartment deal in west Philly (west of University City) that seems too good to be true, it probably is. :-)

Re: PAhopefulNJ, if you're part of the first round of interviews at most of the regional programs, then yes, you would expect to be hearing back around now. The admissions officers at most places will formally tell you 3-6 weeks, which ends up being 2.5-4 weeks for most folks. I have known a couple people that really didn't hear back until near the 6-week mark, but they are far more the exception than the rule.

Thanks korsakov! I'm so unfamiliar with the area and I'm looking for suggestions. My friend who is actually in medical school at PCOM gave me a few names of apartments that are close to the campus so I think I may check those out first! I'm currently living in State College and living situations are always very competitive, so I just wanted to make sure I have time to look. I'm assuming our program will give us some suggestions as well?!

Looking forward to meeting you!

Yeah, for the folks that wanna' live super close to campus, I think the Beekman and Greenbriar buildings are popular options. (I've heard some complaints from friends-of-friends about the quality, but you can't beat the distance.) The Manayunk area is popular with people that want to maintain a sort of "college" feel, with a lot of pubs and an active nightlife... parking can be horrific, though, and it isn't for anyone that likes to go to sleep early. If you don't mind a tiny commute, many of the neighboring suburbs can have some nice apartment offerings -- Narberth, Ardmore, Wynewood, Bala Cynwyd, etc. A general rule of thumb if you're looking to save money but stay suburban is that the further you move off the main line, the cheaper things will get; to that end, you can look further out to Upper Darby, Lansdowne, or Chestnut Hill... though you're looking at more of a 30-minute commute there. (Still not that bad.)

If you're willing to look in the Philly suburbs, I would venture to say you're almost guaranteed to find an apartment with time to spare. If you're looking at just the apartment complexes really close to campus then yep, I'd get crankin' on it ASAP. :-)

Korsakov, thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I made note of all of these places so that I can check them out once I find the time to get to Philly! As much as I'm enjoying my senior year at school, it's stressful going through all of this while I still have classes. So, I appreciate your help! :)

Thanks again. Happy November, guys :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sometime once the class has been finalized, you will all be assigned Bigs, which are individual upperclassmen you can ask questions about (housing, books, etc). I know that we all love our Bigs and ask questions all the time. That won't be until probably April, so until then, you can look us up on Facebook or ask us questions here if you need. In terms of housing, there are tons of apartment buildings right around school that people live at (Presidential, Imperial Towers, Beekman, Lincoln Green, Sevilla Court), etc. The only people that I have heard with problems are the ones in Presidential, but nothing too too serious. I've been in both Beekman and Lincoln Green and they are definitely nice (not super high end luxury nice, but grad student nice). A bunch of people live in Roxborough and Manayunk too, which are good locations if you are into the bar and nightlife scene. I live in Mt Airy (10 mins away), but am moving because we are too close to Germantown (don't live in Germantown) and were robbed. I'm moving to Chestnut Hill which is a little bit further away, but is really nice...its downtown area has a coffee shop/boutique kind of vibe to it. East Falls is also nice but closer than Mt. Airy or Chestnut Hill. Some classmates live in Center City, and the commute isn't bad if you leave early enough. For those who aren't from the area, 76 is a nightmare most of the time, so avoid living anywhere that would require that route unless you're an early morning person and can get up to beat the traffic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The interview really wasn't that bad. I had done several before my PCOM interview so I felt like I had some practice. My suggestion is to know a little about the PA profession and history, as well as US healthcare. I had questions about both in my interview and felt unprepared because none of the other schools asked about that. I also liked how the PCOM interviews had obviously read my application because they asked specific questions about my experience and schooling. Overall it was pretty relaxed. Like everyone says, just be yourself and if you don't know an answer don't make it up because you'll just sound stupid. I totally had no idea on one of the questions they asked me about the PA profession and I said so...and I'm accepted so I think they are more interested in how you respond and not that you are correct....good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Look into summit park communities... it is in roxborough, it is a botu 15 minutes to school but lots of parking and it is quiet. Definitely recommend it, it is REALLY nice to get away from school sometimes too. Also it is close to Manayunk which is a nice place to go to but the parking is awful there. It is cheaper if you split for a 3 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartment.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't recall off the top of my head exactly the duration... But it wasn't a *huge* amount of time. They should be able to tell you precisely. (Like everyone else, they understand perfectly well that they aren't the only program out there, so it's not an unusual question.) It was somewhere around 2 weeks. PCOM, like many programs by this point, is probably getting close to trying to lock down their class members.

Also, to reinforce what aspiringpa24 said above (though unrelated to PHLBarbell): parking in Manayunk sucks! :-)

Archived