Cell Bio or Patho?

I'm signing up for my last undergrad semester and I'm deciding between Cell Biology (PCB2131) and Pathophysiology (HSC3555). I will also be taking Biochemistry (BCH3033) which is why I'm not taking both of these courses. Also, the pathophysiology course is taught by an M.D and is known to be a very intense course at my university. So it's one or the other. Which one would you suggest as a pre-pa and which one would look better to adcoms? Thanks!

Patho for sure. It will prepare you for PA school like no other class and it will look good on transcript. To do well in it you need to have done well in Physiology. You can't understand Patho if you don't understand the normal physiology of the body.

I received an A- and B+ in A&P I, II respectively. It's been about two years since I took them so with a little brushing up, I think I'll be okay.

Patho hands down. Not only my favorite class of my undergrad education, but it also helped me to further understand physiology as well. Physiology really started to click with me when I was studying patho. I 3.5'd physiology when I took it but didn't feel like I retained a lot of it until after I took patho. Learning what happens when the system isn't working correctly helped me to further understand how the system is supposed to act under normal conditions. The renal system definitely was the most difficult, so be sure to allot enough time for studying during that section.

I was told by ADCOM that upper level patho class or an upper level "advanced physiology" class (more in-depth than A&P I&II) are the two best indicators on your transcript for how you will do in PA school. They include complicated topics such as: acid-base, cell biology, some biochem, and neuro physiology that aren't covered in more introductory bio classes. Take one of those, even if it is going to be one of the hardest classes you take in undergrad, it shows you can understand complicated material. I got a B- in mine (took my gpa down some), but it is the exposure to the material that is going to help you in the long run.

Archived