cant figure why yu guys and gals stay in the cold , expensive, congested, hostile lowpaying regions of the frigid/sweltering north country. Pay is better down here in the hot/sweltering, less expensive(housing/parking ect) only moderately congested, kinda friendly BETTER PAYING south. just sayin

cant figure why yu guys and gals stay in the cold , expensive, congested, hostile lowpaying regions of the frigid/sweltering north country. Pay is better down here in the hot/sweltering, less expensive(housing/parking ect) only moderately congested, kinda friendly BETTER PAYING south. just sayin

-Hurricanes

-Tornados

-Alligators

-Humidity

-NASCAR

-lack of snow (tough to ski)

-Pizza (tough to find good pizza outside of NY/New Haven)

-Fried chicken gizzards at KFC ('nuf said...)

The better pay does sound nice though; just need a town where my kids can grow up playing hockey and I'm there......

;)

You couldn't be more correct. One of the best decisions I've ever made was to leave NY and move down south.

-Hurricanes

-Tornados

-Alligators

-Humidity

-NASCAR

The better pay does sound nice though; just need a town where my kids can grow up playing hockey and I'm there......

;)

But up north "The rent is too damn high".

You've been watching too much TV. We aren't all barefoot, chicken gizzard eat'in, NASCAR watch'in, beer swill'in...okay, maybe we do swill a bit...., red necks. When we ski...it's on water.

In most of the South we avoid the gators and hurricanes, but the tornadoes and humidity are a problem throughtout the region.

Hockey, schmockey. This is SEC land. Football prevails.

You've been watching too much TV. We aren't all barefoot, chicken gizzard eat'in, NASCAR watch'in, beer swill'in...okay, maybe we do swill a bit...., red necks. When we ski...it's on water.

In most of the South we avoid the gators and hurricanes, but the tornadoes and humidity are a problem throughtout the region.

Hockey, schmockey. This is SEC land. Football prevails.

I'm OK with the beer swillin'...... :) I picked up a taste for the Terrapin and Sweetwater brews down in Atlanta for AAPA this year!

-Hurricanes

-Tornados- More in the midwest

-Alligators- only in swamps

-Humidity- got me here

-NASCAR- rural areas- We prefer our SEC football

-lack of snow (tough to ski)- vacation to CO where the best slopes are anyway

-Pizza (tough to find good pizza outside of NY/New Haven)- My city has great pizza places

-Fried chicken gizzards at KFC ('nuf said...)- Popeyes is better

;)

I just got back from NYC and I find it strange that I get paid a little more than people living in that city when my cost of living is much lower. Love to visit, wouldn't live there.

-Hurricanes

-Tornados

-Alligators

-Humidity

-NASCAR

;)

Doesn't this describe everything south of boston....:)....and the entire midwest....and southwest......in fact everywhere aside from the west coast and northeast....

NYC is a difficult place to practice medicine. Strongly recommend reading the New Yorker article on St Vincents hospital. Certainly being in an academic or specialty setting it is a treat in the big city. For the General Medicine, OBGYN, Primary Care communities etc it can be a big challenege. Rent, labor, medical supply and a saturated medical climate make it challenging when reimbursement rates do not change substantially with georgraphy. This could/should create an opportunity for PAs to make a big impact. In many cases they do, but the PA market in NYC is over saturated and some schools in the North East are tuition generators not producing competent providers. We need stronger labor organization for PAs in the North East, and we need innovate reimbursement changes for practitioners in high priced areas.

75K with nice benefits at 36 hours a week is not unreasonable. After 5 years of experience I think 85+ should be a goal. I think hospitals will soon realise the benefit of keeping quality PAs are start paying with more flexibility based on competency and experience. I am in NYC and started at 40/hr in outpatient setting.

NY state has the most PA programs nationwide contributing to a glut of new PAs driving salaries lower.

During an interview one human resource person at NYU told me "New PAs are dime a dozen." The hospitals know they can offer low salaries because some people will take them.

I know people in my class who accepted jobs for 80k with no benefits or 65k with benefits (both in EM) in NYC.

Archived