Microbiology and pre-req question

Sorry for all the n00b questions but...

I want to take microbiology but the CC has it as microbiology 1000

Will PA schools take it?

Also, I got a C in biology 1 but an A in biology 2..should i go ahead and retake biology 1 even though I have an upward trend? also, is it better to retake classes as opposed to taking harder sciences such as organic 2 or biochemistry? (even most pa schools stop at organic 1)

As far as I understand it a course in microbiology is required for PA school. By 1000 level do you mean 100? I am unfamiliar with a 1000 level course in CC. Usually microbiology has a pre-req of biology and micro is considered a 200-level course. As far as the C in Bio 1 I would recommend retaking it and make sure you get an A. Not many PA schools will accept the new grade as a replacement but they all will average the two grades together. Getting a B-average in biology 1 is much better than a C.

Good luck.

The most useful answer is: ask the schools that you are applying to if they will accept it....but a real micro class should be at least 200 or 300 level and include a lab. My guess is that the class that you referenced is more of a survey course and, even if you got a PA school to accept it as a pre-req, would largely be a waste of your time.

Some schools have a list of transfer credits from local CC's. I would check for that before doing anything. Always check beforehand with a counselor, the ones that I have interacted with have been very helpful. Heck, even secretaries to each program are very informative. I would imagine if it is a 4 credit class with a lab, it would be accepted, but always check to make sure.

Either biochemistry or organic 2 are required for most PA programs. If not, then they require both. They are nightmare courses, but if you were able to pull off an A in bio 2, then I would think that you should at least do fairly well in them. Do your research and take organic 2 at the best location near you. I would do that before retaking Bio 1. There is no use in delaying the inevitable.

Archived