Accepted Students to Stony Brook

Just wondering if any current, past, or accepted students at Stony Brook can share their stats like gpa, sci gpa, and volunteer hours etc. I would like to get an idea of what the average accepted student is like. Stony Brook is my first choice and I am so worried because this field is so competitive. My Overall GPA is 3.5 and my science GPA so far is a 3.36. I just got my EMT license and will start volunteering. I graduate in 2012 and plan to apply for the 2013 cycle. Also if anyone would like to share what they think Stony Brook looks for the most in their students. Thanks so much.

• 1 month later...

there's this thread on the Pre-PA General Discussion section entitled "PA Applicant Stats Page." All it takes is some searching through old posts to see what kind of stats got accepted/rejected from Stony Brook over the years. (I recommend using the Find tool in the edit toolbar and type "stony Brook" or "SBU" if using firefox). PAGirl..remember that these SBU PA students are going through one of the most academically grueling, yet exciting experiences of their lives..most probably don't know about or have time to check this forum often :) Good luck to you all!

• 4 weeks later...

hello!

i know this is late, but i thought id share. i just got an acceptance about a month ago. i graduated from stony brook in 2010 with a 3.62 gpa, but when caspa calculated my overall was 3.57 and my science was a 3.47. I volunteered with people with various mental and physical disabilities for about a year, i shadowed a doctor for a summer and a pa for about 3 months, i got certified as a phlebotomist a few months before i applied and did the blood collection for a psychiatric research team. I was also the site coordinator for that same research group and interviewed psych patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Honestly though, the bulk of my hours were all acquired about 6 months prior to applying. i took a year off, and when you are working full time, they add up a whole lot quicker.

hope that helped!

good luck!

• 1 year later...

Archived