Not political! Age of president

This is not a political thread 

Political statements will be deleted 

medically is their an age when someone should no longer be president???

in my world of geriatric primary care I really hesitate with a potential president being anything older then early 60’s.  

what do others think??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ventana said:

in my world of geriatric primary care I really hesitate with a potential president being anything older then early 60’s.  

Should that be limited to the president? Should we require cognitive testing for other professions that require sound decision making and cognitive skills?

• Upvote 1

I would be in favor of an age limit for the president as well as congress. I would suggest that at age 65 or 70 you could no longer run for office, but could finish out a term that has already started. 

I am also in favor of term limits in general for congress. I think 12 years total would be appropriate (6 House terms or 2 Senate terms). Then no lobbying after your terms are completed. 

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
15 hours ago, kettle said:

Minicog test, age is just a number. Make it public knowledge. Let the people decide. 

Yes and no. The five year trajectory of someone with a 30/30 MMSE who is 45 is a lot different with someone who is 75.

• Upvote 1

i think there is very few (if any) 70's folks out there with the physical and mental stamina to be a president.  no matter how smart you are, or how good shape you are in.....

my choice of a MS exam.... SLUMS....   pretty easy and fast to administer....

• Like 1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ventana said:

i think there is very few (if any) 70's folks out there with the physical and mental stamina to be a president.  no matter how smart you are, or how good shape you are in.....

A particular Douglas Adams quote comes to mind, but I respect that it could be construed as political, and so will left the quote unquoted, but IYKYK.

Independent cognitive testing should be MANDATORY at 65 for the President of the US.  The test must be independent and transparent.  Don't like it?  Don't run for the job.  It's simply too important to the country to have someone who is impaired and simply propped up by their staff.....ala Diane Feinstein.  The ARROGANCE of these people/politicians....Ruth B. Ginsburg?  Is stunning to me.  They seem to constantly place their own warped view of themselves over the good of the country.  President Obama begged RBG to retire while he was still president and could appoint her replacement.  She refused, and will forever go down in history as the Supreme Court justice who handed the majority of the court over to MAGA.  But yes, there should absolutely be an ongoing yearly independent and transparent cognitive test for the world to see.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Independent cognitive testing should be MANDATORY at 65 for the President of the US....

You'll never find an objective standard everyone will agree to. There are licensed healthcare providers on this forum who not long ago refused to acknowledge the incumbent was showing any signs of cognitive decline. People see what they want to see. 

• Administrator

Semi-related story: One of my competitors' practices imploded last year. HUGE financial boon to me and the other NP who work in my niche--she used to work for that practice, FWIW. I only have met the MD socially, but the other MD who he hired, and who was doing much of the day-to-day work, opened a practice one county north of us. Why? I don't know. But it takes a special sort of retiring person, especially in a type-A field like medicine or politics, to assemble a team around them in a manner that delegation works and succession planning is done well. That didn't work in this practice, and I suggest neither the current nor immediate past administrations have done team building well either.

14 minutes ago, ventana said:

None with the stamina. 

Agree, even someone who is brilliant at 90 was an unstoppable force of nature at 50(Linus Pauling, Watson & Crick, Dick Van Dyke, Nelson Rockefeller, Jimmy Carter, etc)

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2024 at 8:50 PM, ventana said:

None with the stamina. 

It's very curious. Why did no one seem to care about this very obvious problem a few years ago? Did people think he was going to somehow reverse age in office?

I also wonder about "duty to act" for people surrounding an incapacitated president. There are a ton of White House staff and Cabinet members who are confronted daily with the reality of the situation. None of them have ever raised a concern for the good of the country. That's pretty sad. 

Edited by CAAdmission
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 9:06 PM, EMEDPA said:

Agree, even someone who is brilliant at 90 was an unstoppable force of nature at 50(Linus Pauling, Watson & Crick, Dick Van Dyke, Nelson Rockefeller, Jimmy Carter, etc)

Exceptions to the rule and are not common among those in their 9th decade of life!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 6:52 AM, CAAdmission said:

It's very curious. Why did no one seem to care about this very obvious problem a few years ago? Did people think he was going to somehow reverse age in office?

I also wonder about "duty to act" for people surrounding an incapacitated president. There are a ton of White House staff and Cabinet members who are confronted daily with the reality of the situation. None of them have ever raised a concern for the good of the country. That's pretty sad. 

(cough, cough) Reagan...." I don't recall that....nancy, do you remember?"

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 11:26 AM, Cideous said:

She refused, and will forever go down in history as the Supreme Court justice who handed the majority of the court over to MAGA

Personally, I wish they weren't allowed to leave the court (except through impeachment). If they fail a cog exam, then they're emeritus until they die but not replaced until then. This would mean that death would decide if a judge is replaced by a repub or dem president, instead of the judge her/himself deciding. 

One of the problems in the judicial system right now is political manipulation by the outgoing judges. I'd rather randomize the high court by death than have judges manipulate it based on who the president says will replace them if they retire now. Too much power to the status quo.

In my state, an elected judge is always pressured by the governor to resign in the few months prior to the conclusion of their last term. That allows the governor to appoint an interim judge who then runs on the ballot with the label of "incumbent", and incumbent judges always always get "re"elected. Result: almost no judge in my state is truly elected; they're now appointed for all practical purposes. It's a political scam. Too much power to the status quo.

Yes, I agree on age limits for presidents. We have one on the "young" side already, and need one on the old side. I would make it younger then the age of both 2024 candidates. 

14 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

(cough, cough) Reagan...." I don't recall that....nancy, do you remember?"

I'd be delighted to explore parallels between that president and this one, but alas, you'll have to do it over at the political thread area so people don't get their feelings hurt.