Reducing At-Home Charting Time

Hi all!

I'm currently a PA student and simultaneously looking to learn about other PA's experiences charting at home or outside of the office. My end goal is to build a tool to help solve this issue, so if this is something you are affected by please send me a private message! 

Just looking to learn right now, so any insight helps :)

• Administrator
4 hours ago, sas5814 said:

My solution is work doesn't cross the threshold at my house. If you pay me for 8 hours you get 8 hours of work. I don't chart at home.

This. Unless you have a profit-sharing arrangement, you should not be an 'exempt' employee. Real professionals don't work for free.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The only "tool" that will help with clinicians who chart at home is self-discipline. Depending on specialty:

- Don't pick up too many patients

- Don't pick up patients in the last 1.5-2 hrs of the shift (unless the dispo is straightforward and no real workup required)

- Create note templates 

- Include imports from the EMR with your note templates that pull patient information into the chart

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sas5814 said:

My solution is work doesn't cross the threshold at my house. If you pay me for 8 hours you get 8 hours of work. I don't chart at home.

agree. charting at home is working for free. 

Omg…don’t work from home.  If you are going to work for free (don’t) but if you must, create a boundary and do it from work.  Home is your refuge, your place of safety.  Don’t sell your soul.  I just recently lost everything because of this…no one will ever, ever, EVER thank you for staying late to finish those last few alerts, but your family, if you still have them, will thank you for being there.  
Work efficiently, create templates, don’t waste time, to finish on time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it’s not an issue of pay, it’s an issue of boundaries.  Your home is your sanctuary.  
Keep your two worlds separate.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2024 at 7:32 AM, thinkertdm said:

For me, it’s not an issue of pay, it’s an issue of boundaries.  Your home is your sanctuary.  
Keep your two worlds separate.

My boss, early on, suggested I could work from home when it was convenient for the organization which, I suppose, a lot of people would like. My response hasn't changed in years. Work doesn't cross the threshold at my house. It's like inviting a vampire in. It never works out well.

• Upvote 1