Family med rotation patient load

How many patients should you see a day on a family med rotation? It’s my first rotation and I just finished my first week. Have been seeing patients myself since the first day, and it’s been ~4-7 patients per day in the 4-5 hours I’m at the office. Is this typical? 

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

a bit slow. I think 2-3/hr with the preceptor is more typical. 

Thanks! Sorry I didn’t clarify that these were mostly encounters I did by myself haha. When I go in with my preceptor it’ll usually be more in the hour since we move a little faster if she’s with me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mayamom said:

Can you clarify it's your first rotation and you are seeing patients independently. 

Yup first rotation and have been seeing patients independently from day 1 (to my surprise lol). I still do just observe some appointments here and there, but I’m still pretty nervous seeing patients on my own. Not sure if this is the norm for everyone 

The first day or so for me was orientation and then I would see a patient on my own, present to my attending, and then we'd see the pt together. If we got behind, usually I would go see the next pt instead of staying to observe my attending. I can't remember how many pts I saw in a day (8-5) but it was probably something like 12-15. 

This is also what I do with my own students. Sometimes we'd see them together but I usually have them see the pt first. 

Edited by SedRate

Just now, SedRate said:

It's the best way to learn, gain confidence, and start to develop your practice style and pt rapport!

Agree. Unless someone is pretty ill from triage or by EMS report, I have students see pts first in the ER as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1