EMT or Phlebotomy

I'm an undergraduate who just finished my first year. I want to begin gaining clinical hours but have no certificate. I'm looking into EMT courses but most have started. There is one left. However, there is a Phlebotomy course available still. Which one is better EMT or Phlebotomy? Should I take the Phlebotomy and does it count for clinical hours? 

I think that phlebotomy as hours would depend on the program more than anything. I feel like it ~should~ but I'm not positive. Either way, 110% go the EMS route. I actually just got accepted to my #1 program last week and I was coming in with around 25,000hrs of 911 EMS experience over 7 years. I was an EMT for 2 and then was a paramedic for the rest of that time. You obviously don't need that many hours or years, but the skill set and experience you acquire for the level of education needed to be an EMT is hard to beat, and compared to a phleb tech... well I don't really think they compare. 

Ultimately though, the application portion comes down to how well you can compile your skills and experiences to sell the admissions department on why you'd be a great PA at their program. If I was an admissions team member and had an EMT with 5 years of experience as an interfacility transport driver, where all he did was drive an ambulance to and from the hospital to the nursing home, I probably wouldn't value the skills acquired as much as I would say a phleb tech with 3 years in a high volume ER that worked cooperatively with all sorts of different health care practitioners in an ever changing environment. It really depends on how you present the skills that you've obtained no matter what route you go. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Definitely do the EMT course. Phlebotomists really don't do much regarding patient care outside of the realm of specimen collection. Being an EMT you're doing patient assessment and intervention. Better yet, get your EMT certification and become an ED Tech. Best of both worlds. Not to downplay phlebotomist but the experience between the two roles are vastly different. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was a phlebotomist at a small community hospital for 3 years before PA school, and I really enjoyed it and found it helpful in that I got to interact with patients and medical staff in a bunch of different settings (ER, med/surg, ICU, outpatient lab), and I learned details about lab testing that even some of the docs didn't know.  However, I feel like EMT would give you a much broader and more varied experience and would probably be better overall for medical experience.  My PA classmates who were EMTs beforehand tended to do well and have a solid knowledge base to build on.

If you do choose phlebotomy, make sure you enroll in a reputable course that emphasizes ASCP standards and a high level of care, not just some fly-by-night "school" that is looking to make money and will let you harm patients.  And working in a hospital will give you better experience than an outpatient-only job.

• Administrator

The one advantage to phlebotomy vs. EMT is that if you're just doing 9-1-1 response as an EMT (no IFTs, etc.) you don't really get a sense for inpatient medicine that you might in the right position as a phlebotomist.