Hi all,

I was recently accepted to Nova Ft. Lauderdale (yay!) and was looking over the acceptance letter they sent. In it, it said that the estimated room and board for year one was $22,700 to live off campus. This seems like a gross overestimation (almost $2,000/month), but again it is in a totally new city and part of the world for me. I was wondering if any current students could confirm the accuracy of this. I was thinking maybe $1,000/month (i'm planning on living in a 1 bedroom with a roommate). Please let me know if that seems reasonable or if it truly is that expensive just to live in Ft. Lauderdale/Davie.

Thanks!

Hey dschelar - congrats on your acceptance! I will be in class with you next year :)

The sheet that they gave you is definitely an overestimation in regards to housing and transportation. My husband (a 2nd yr D.O. student) and I moved down here last year. We had a last minute change last year and had to rent a 1 br/1 ba (right across the street from campus) and the price of rent was inflated (approx. $1200/mo + utilities). If you have a car, I recommend living a little bit further from campus. We're in a 2br/1.5 ba in Plantation (the town right next to Davie), and we're paying less than what we paid last year, and it's a significantly nicer apartment and area. Last year we had to do all our apartment hunting on our own remotely so it was a little trickier. If you have the time, try to find apartments on your own or work with a realtor (their services are usually free). If the distance from campus is an important factor for you, be prepared to pay a bit more. If you're only a few miles from campus and driving, the cost of gas won't be too bad, but you will have to be prepared for South Florida traffic (not great because there is an on-going construction project on the highway). Hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions.

Archived