I am just curious who will be going.  Not looking for a debate on the AAPA positions, but just want to see if I can actually meet some of the people who have been posting for the 20 years I have been on this forum.  I hope to meet Rev this year as I missed him last year.  I will be there for the weekend and then back to the grind.  

I hadn't thought about it. I really didn't even know about it since I pulled out of policy stuff a few years back. I have, occasionally, gone to a conference just to socialize and not to attend the conference. Because of work the 18th is likely the only day I could be there.

Edited by sas5814

• Administrator
15 hours ago, NeoTrion said:

Rev, what are you speaking on?  Will you be in the HOD this year?

My best attempt at a big-tent look at abortion pill reversal (progesterone after mifepristone), both looking at the current science (safety/efficacy) as well as the ethical decision making based on the woman's autonomy, without reference to fetal personhood. In short: should pro-choice clinicians support progesterone post mifepristone if requested by mom? It's a non-CME, caucus-sponsored evening session.

Yep, will be at HOD. I authored a resolution and am definitely speaking to several others.

• 2 weeks later...

Vote transparency would be nice. PAFT proposed it twice and we were shot down both times. I think we should know how every HOD member votes on everything. It is the only way to know if your voice is being respected and acted on. 

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

Vote transparency would be nice. PAFT proposed it twice and we were shot down both times. I think we should know how every HOD member votes on everything. It is the only way to know if your voice is being respected and acted on. 

It's on the list. Anand Dave is here and will likely speak to it. 2024-A-08-FL is the resolution designator. It should be being discussed right now, but they have some parliamentary questions to resolve before it is, so we're discussing A-09 right now.

ETA: Looks like they decided to refer A-08 to the standing rules committee.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Listening through the report outs at the beginning of the HOD session. AAPA seems to be actually getting it, for the most part, actually investing in advocacy and title change.

Should've done this since day 1 (2021) but better late than never. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, PACali said:

Should've done this since day 1 (2021) but better late than never. 

The HOD is a really diverse place: There's a lot of students arguing for change, and a lot of Old Guard saying "we tried that before, 5-10 years ago and it didn't work..." It's been really participatory, and talking with people who've written motions which (I believe) needed tweaking...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

We're having more brief and productive discussions on abortion and gender ideology than PA faculty scholarship requirements and the title of a PA doctoral degree. This... is what is wrong with the HOD.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrator

We now have hate speech guidelines. Quit AAPA now, because if you stay a member, someone doesn't like what you said and complains, and the judicial affairs committee kicks you out of the AAPA, that will be reported to the NPI database and may likely be required to self-report this as a board sanction to your licensing board at renewal. If you're not a member, they have no jurisdiction over you.

• Upvote 1

This is, ultimately, why I left AAPA after the title change mess. I want my national organization to be spending its time and my money on advancing the profession. Instead we are staking out positions on social issues. What I call looks good/feels good/does nothing work.

• Upvote 3

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

This is, ultimately, why I left AAPA after the title change mess. I want my national organization to be spending its time and my money on advancing the profession. Instead we are staking out positions on social issues. What I call looks good/feels good/does nothing work.

I mentioned that on the climate change measure, pointing out that more people are going to die because they don't trust the profession of medicine and by extension PAs, than will be saved--even under the most favorable models, which are religious prophecies, not scientific predictions--by us advocating for climate-change related topics.  Quoted Pew research at them and everything. Refcom C at least partially agreed and stripped out some of the stupider language in its recommended consensus, but the house added it back in in Session 2.

• Upvote 1

PACali, I would highly recommend that you reaching out to the California delegation and get a bill authored.  Even better would be to go to the HOD and argue your point.  The more points of view that we have the better. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/19/2024 at 4:03 PM, rev ronin said:

We now have hate speech guidelines. Quit AAPA now, because if you stay a member, someone doesn't like what you said and complains, and the judicial affairs committee kicks you out of the AAPA, that will be reported to the NPI database

That'll do it for me. C'ya AAPA, it was fun while it lasted. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

cumon.... don't you want to know how they voted on antisemitism? Are they for it or against it?

Against. One delegate was against calling out antisemitism especially and wanted to broaden it. I advocated adding "including antizionism" to it, but that suggested amendment wasn't adopted.

When it was finally brought back up as authored in the second session, the first speaker was a motion was to close debate, which passed handily, and then the motion itself with 85% of the vote.

In the end, the antisemitism motion had about as many dissenters as my motion to recognize detransitioners, prioritize research into restorative techniques, and advocate payment parity for detransition had supporters.

AAPA won't ever see another dime from me as long as they avoid the 9000 lb purple elephant in the room - the death spiral of PAs while being wiped out by NPs and their massive lobby and "independence".

We are too "dependent" to function in an evolving medical landscape and AAPA is tone deaf to the issue. 

All professional organizations will come out with some public statement on hate, equality, inclusivity, yada yada yada.

But this profession is facing a massive issue - massive - that AAPA ignores with great prejudice.

NCCPA has us monetarily hostage. NPs are killing us and subsequently jobs are drying up.

We have WAY too many PA schools, not enough education and are contributing to our own demise on a daily basis.

The whole name change thing - nailed a lot for me - spend a ton of money on a consultant and then summarily dismiss all recommendations......................

Ok, that says a lot about what the board cares about and how they proceed.

I don't feel represented by anyone who has any vested interest in a career I chose over 30 yrs ago and am pretty damn good at.

Every.Single.Day I now regret not going to medical school. 

Then at least being female would be one of the fewer barriers. 

We deserve better 

• Upvote 1