Must have Apps for Clinical Rotations

Hey everyone,

Today marked the last day of my didactic phase in PA School! Rotations start November 1st and I am stoked! As the title states I am looking for great medical apps for iPhone/iPod touch (just got the new iPod touch and LOVE it) for the clinical year. I have epocrates essentials (thank you free code for students!) and a few of the other free medical apps in the app store but I wanted to find out from the folks on here that are currently in clinicals/practicing PA's what the best apps are...

Suggestions?

Sure! I love mine and am always looking for more!

Medscape is a good complement to the free Epocrates app because you can look up conditions.

There's one just called "stethoscope" that lets you listen to heart/lung/bowel sounds - I try to train my ears.

"Pocket Lab Values" is alright - It's very quick for looking up reference ranges, but it isn't very extensive.

As for non-apps, the Pocket Medicine book is a must-have, and I've found the Sanford Guide helpful also. Internal Medicine Case Files is good for studying (if I only had time for that...).

I'm glad you're so excited! I only started rotating 2 months ago and am finishing up my first one, but it's sooo much more fun than didactic! Good luck to you!

Here's mine. I honestly, haven't used them much for the first 3 rotations (ER, Family, IM) since it looks like I'm playing on my cell phone. Sanford (2009), Maxwell, and Tarascon pocket are my go to guides.

- Epocrates (free)

- Medscape (free)

- Diagnosaurus (0.99)- For a quick differential summary

- Medical Spanish (free)- For the basics (pain? Where? when? Trouble Breathing? etc)

I also made links to websites on my homepage- To MDCalc and a Framingham score.

I use Tarascon pharmacopeia. It's really the only app/book I use at this point. Occasionally I will use Sanford guide. I also have a medical spanish book (haven't come across the free app yet, will have to check it out) and an ER quick book (that honestly, I only use on down time to review stuff).

If I remember correctly the Tarascon pharmacopeia was a bit pricey, so I would start out with the $10 book and see if it is something you like before paying for the app (since its set up very similarly).

EMRA antibiotic guide, Tarascon, Epocrates- top 3 and I use them almost daily. Another good book I used to carry during clinicals is "Principles of Primary Wound Management" by Michael Mortiere; 4x6 book with some good diagrams/ ect on wound closure.

If you decide to pickup the Tarascon, don't forget the pediatric dosing table in the FRONT of the book- it's money and will save you time.

J

Oops, sorry. Guess I should read the full post. MEDICAL APPs: Epocrates is a must; or PEPID- though that one is spendy. I also have ECG guide and MEDCALC on mine, though I only browse them once in awhile (they are cheap). Another cool one is MED SPANISH if you need spanish in clinic.

• 1 month later...

So we will use Epocrates if we want to talk about drug interactions and stuff or does it has stuff like Intermal Medicine case File? Sanford guide is Antimicrobial therapy only, isn't it? HOW ABOUT Practical Guide to the care of Medical Patient by Fred F. Ferri,MD OR Washington Manual? I liked Swanson's Family Practice Review too.

Hey Mdub83 thanks for your detailed answer in the previous thread.

Why you guys want to use ipod over tarditional style pocket manual? Can't handle pocket load?? or wanna be "high tech dude"......;-0

this is what i've been using so far on my iphone:

• skyscape's 5 minute clinical consult - quick way to review relevant info on a disease in less than 30 seconds and includes easy to use algorithms
  • lexicomp lexi drugs and lexi interact - expensive, but it blows other mobile drug databases out of the water
  • diagnosaurus - used it more during the didactic year, but it's pretty cheap
  • medscape - it's free! why not?

and in addition to apps, i keep pocket medicine in my coat pocket!

• 1 month later...

Epocrates was all I used on rotations, and I used it a lot. Meaning, while I was actually on site (tons of other reference materials at home, of course). I had Docs who relied on our PA students using Epocrates, I was regularly asked to look up dosages for them (besides constantly using it to look up dosages for myself). That and Maxwell's quick reference, I never left home without them.

jwells, that peds dosage bit would have been indispensable on my peds rotations!

• 4 months later...

In addition to the apps mentioned such as Epocrates and Micromedex, I added a simple yet very useful pager app and have my pager phone number forwarded to the app. Eliminates the need for a separate pager and still gives me the privacy and urgency of a pager phone number.

I personally used Medscape and epocrates for disease information and quick guide to tx. For medications I was hard pressed to find a better app then Microdex. The only pocket manual I carry is EMRA which is fantastic and relatively cheap for pocket manuals. All in all get comfortable with your favorite 2 or 3 and become efficient with them.

Archived