Potential Billing?

I am entertaining an ortho offer. I am currently in an ER but looking to move across country "back home to california". The practice is small, a hand doc and a large joints guy, one PA who is content at M-F office time only. He (per the boss) is currently making 150K 100 base and 50 bonus.

His offer to me was 75K to start and ~25K bonus potential, I asked how the bonus was scored/determined and he stated 5% of billing, and he said a PA who works will bill 500K a year to equal the 25K, he said.. bill 750K make 37K bonus. He seemed shcoked when I asked about ER call , stating the physicians take the ER call as it is always surgical in nature, I mentioned about handing reductions and nail bed repairs, he said "You can do nail bed repairs?"

What sort of numbers do you BILL? I know joint injections are big $$$ but, time split between clinic, OR, rounding, and a small occmed clinic this practice acquired doing "occmed" stuff.... what is realistic to bill??

Basically I am wondering if he is blowing smoke you know where.

Can ANYONE help me out? How much is a good month of billing for an ortho PA who os working a combo or OR, Clinic and industrial medicine time? I have no idea where to find this information, I need help!

Call Michael Powe with AAPA. There was a study done several years ago that looked at the collections for ortho PAs. If I remember it was around $100k per year clinic and $100k per year first assist. The interesting part of this is that the physician had another $100k in increased production because of the PA. This is all several years old (?10 maybe). Also remember that you don't get any reimbursement for rounding or follow up within the global period unless they are willing to share part of the surgeons fee with you.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Archived