Public vs Private Hospital for a New Grad

Good Morning,

So I am on the hunt for my first job and I have been trying to jump into surgery, specifically trauma although the positions fill fast and by time I get to the interview the position has been filled but general surgery is available (which to me is great too I would simply prefer trauma) . I have applied to Private and Public Hospitals and I wanted to hear some feedback on what everyone thought of each, I know it may not matter as much for experienced PA's but for someone going into their first job which do you think would be best or have preferred personally?

Heres what I know:

Public: Great benefits, less pay, more residents/interns (so you get less hands on :\ ), if u stay for 10 years loan repayment (although not many ppl i know have stayed that long), greater chance to see more interesting cases (due to pt pop. being insured and uninsured)

Private: Good Benefits, pay more inline with AAPA national, less residents/student/interns (so more hands on) , less varied population because all insured.

Am I right in assuming this and Whats the lifestyle/day to day difference, ability to navigate through channels such as social work issues? Oh and prep for the job- I know I should study surgical recall, at work take notes and research at night, fluid status, jump in and DO, any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Just wanted to add that a "private" hospital can also qualify for loan repayment after 10 years if it is a non-profit. The biggest "private" hospital in my city is actually a non-profit!

Good Morning,

So I am on the hunt for my first job and I have been trying to jump into surgery, specifically trauma although the positions fill fast and by time I get to the interview the position has been filled but general surgery is available (which to me is great too I would simply prefer trauma) . I have applied to Private and Public Hospitals and I wanted to hear some feedback on what everyone thought of each, I know it may not matter as much for experienced PA's but for someone going into their first job which do you think would be best or have preferred personally?

Heres what I know:

Public: Great benefits, less pay, more residents/interns (so you get less hands on :\ ), if u stay for 10 years loan repayment (although not many ppl i know have stayed that long), greater chance to see more interesting cases (due to pt pop. being insured and uninsured)

Private: Good Benefits, pay more inline with AAPA national, less residents/student/interns (so more hands on) , less varied population because all insured.

Am I right in assuming this and Whats the lifestyle/day to day difference, ability to navigate through channels such as social work issues? Oh and prep for the job- I know I should study surgical recall, at work take notes and research at night, fluid status, jump in and DO, any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Archived